• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nigeria

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just don't become the MUGU....Or they will go chop your dollar....HA!

Funny, but for the 419ers, getting their dollas chopped is their biggest fear. I was talking to one of them via yahoo IM other day, who was trying to run a scam on me. I threw out some Nigerian pidgin English, then a link to the dolla chop song, and told me I was gonna chop his dollars. Pissed him off to no end, having him think a more experienced scammer was going to take over all of his scams and steal the money out.

I flew in Mali for a while, which is considerable more poor than Nigeria, but also tons safer. Never felt threatened at all.

But, in places like Africa, the money you are making just ends up being a number you see on your bank account webpage, but the reality of life is what determines if you are actually happy and enjoying it. You can be making loads, and be hating life.

Last edited:
Anyone fly or work in Nigeria, I’m unemployed and starting to get desperate. I have been contracted to fly for an oil guy there. Good $$ and paid to and from on a 2 month on 1 month off kind of deal. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks

You'd be better off flying for someone here in the states for free and have everyone here bitch at you for it....rather than live in that complete sh$thole.

When we flew in there we never stepped foot off the plane (Kano and Lagos). I've stayed on the plane for 24 hours before. A few years before I started with that company when they flew C-130's in there a mechanic died there from some stomach virus. Having dinner one day and I think a couple days later he died.
Not to mention the stories all the guys would tell me about people getting killed in the city, middle of the day, for NOTHING. Body just laid there for a day or two.

When human garbage makes up a country, you get garbage for a country.

Just dumb to live there.

But, in places like Africa, the money you are making just ends up being a number you see on your bank account webpage, but the reality of life is what determines if you are actually happy and enjoying it. You can be making loads, and be hating life.[/quo
This is also true for this country as well!
Ask any Major or regional pilot. they all see numbers and hate their life.
Then the go to Africa Korea China India and make more money and are more miserable than before.
Happyness starts within!!!!
Happy Landings
T

This is also true for this country as well!
Ask any Major or regional pilot. they all see numbers and hate their life.
Then the go to Africa Korea China India and make more money and are more miserable than before.
Happyness starts within!!!!
Happy Landings
T

I have friends who flew for the majors here for 15-16 years. Now a few of them live abroad in places like Macau, Jakarta, Biejing, Shanghai, Russia, etc.... they all now think that the USA is a complete arm pit to live in and they LOVE where they live now, and they make more money then anyone can make here in the USA.

To each his own I guess. It would take a hell of a lot for me to move out of the USA to fly. $200K minimum and a great schedule. Because I like living here.

Africa though....only people that actually like living in Africa are the corrupt scumbags that drain the life out of their own people and country.

Happiness is completely independent of location, and dependent on the individual. Only YOU can control your own happiness.

Completely independent? After living in some third world places, you just cant say it is happiness and location are completely independent.

Most people would be extremely unhappy in a place like Nigeria. India was hard enough after a while, but that was a fond memory after being in places like Saudi and Mali.

Some people can be happy anywhere, but there are places where life is depressing and keeping upbeat and positive is going to be difficult, if not impossible at times.

Ok, I worded that horribly wrong. The point I am trying to make is that just because it is a third world country does not automatically mean you are going to be miserable. Everyone is responsible for their own happiness.

You'd be better off flying for someone here in the states for free and have everyone here bitch at you for it....rather than live in that complete sh$thole.

When we flew in there we never stepped foot off the plane (Kano and Lagos). I've stayed on the plane for 24 hours before. A few years before I started with that company when they flew C-130's in there a mechanic died there from some stomach virus. Having dinner one day and I think a couple days later he died.
Not to mention the stories all the guys would tell me about people getting killed in the city, middle of the day, for NOTHING. Body just laid there for a day or two.

When human garbage makes up a country, you get garbage for a country.

Just dumb to live there.

Such confident words seeing as you "never stepped foot off the plane."

Should you really be the one to carry on about what a terrible place it is to live...when you wouldn't know?

Rather presumptive of you. But then...you've read about it, and heard about it...and that qualifies you to make such statements?

Tell us about other things you've never done, such as space walks, and walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time, expert.

Well Lagos and much of Nigeria IS a dangerous place, lets not be too hasty to judge him for not wanting to get off the plane.

I am presently flying a Hawker 800SP out of Abuja. It is not as bad as so make it out. It is definitely much better than Kabul. We live at a reasonably good hotel, I will not name it for security purposes. We are paid in USD deposited into our US accounts and have US benefits. We do not have guards to and from the airport. We do have a driver, as you really don't want to drive here. And I feel reasonably secure.

Lagos is a totally different kettle of fish. I have been told that the population of 'greater' Lagos is around 40 million. It is a $h-thole. It is definitely not a secure place. Anywhere on the Niger basin has security concerns.

ATC is the pits. Don't be afraid to as them to repeat slowly. They do NOT follow standard ICAO ATC procedures. There is only one radar that works (sometimes) and that is in Abuja. So get use to doing full procedures and holding. ATC's radios are World War One surplus, I think, they are so bad.

Latest resources

Back