Nice job RAH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you wish you took the job at NJ?

No sarcasm... I'd like to know why Dubai didn't work for you.
I am greatful that I did not take the job a NJA, as it would most likely have prevented me from landing the job that I just got. The company at Dubai was great, but the lifestyle was not for me.

I agree that pilots shouldn't be blamed for their misguided management. However, when somebody takes a job flying an E-170 because it is a "cool" airplane, they are directly affecting this industry. There are other regionals that pay more to fly real "regional" aircraft. (If there is such a thing anymore)

I'm not just bashing Republic but also Mesaba. Who thinks that making $35/hr after 5 years as an F/O on a -900 is worth it?! And we are all wondering why Mesaba is primed for growth....We're our own worst enemy people!
I don't think that many pilots chose a regional based on the a/c that are flown (that's what I hope, anyway). I chose RAH for the bases that are offered. I interviewed for all three certificates and I took the first class that was offered which happened to be the 170. Is it a nice airplane? Very, but I wouldn't (and I hope most wouldn't) give their left nut to fly it (that's reserved for the P-51).

Something else to keep in mind, we now have a lot of CRJ and 135/40/45 pilots being displaced to the 170. People may look at them with disgust feeling that they went to Republic to fly a "cool" airplane when in reality, most don't want to be here b/c they have been displaced from their bases and are now commuters and NO airplane is worth that!

In the end, everyone has their own reason for going to a certain airline. Are any of them wrong? Even if it is just to fly a "cool" airplane, No. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't demonstrate high-levels of d.o.u.c.h.e.baggery (periods to beat the censor) b/c of it. Be a professional b/c in the end, we're all in this together.

I didn't look at Wikipedia. I have an affection for airline history. They all were regionals that came and went, just like you were talking about. They all fed legacies at some point. You might pay special attention to Rocky Mountain Air, Britt, PBA, and Bar Harbor. They all became Continental Express and thus became ExpressJet. I was at ExpressJet for a year and a half. Now I'm at Chautauqua. It's the same stuff, different airline, +/- a few bucks an hour. While XJT has cancellation pay which they are so proud of, they also have Junior Manning, which we at Chautauqua don't. I've been junior manned at XJT but never at CHQ. You guys need Cancellation pay at XJT because you fly in and out of EWR. We hardly touch EWR and the closest we come based in the NYC area is LGA and it's just a small base. I didn't even attend Riddle, not after I applied, was accepted and saw the price they wanted. Yikes! I know XJT is still in business. I hope they don't go out of business. It was my sick little joke to ruffle your feathers and it worked. I enjoyed my time there and I wish the best for them.

Another piece of history for you..JO ran continental express for a while.

Let me add that many people choose what regional to go to based on supply and demand.

Latest resources

Back