Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
To the 717 crew with the dual generator failure going in to ATL yesterday during IMC and dodging thunderstorms - nice work. Glad it turned out OK. Would like to know if they found out what the hell caused a dual failure?

Last edited:
Well, we did play a quick game of chicken with one of the CFR trucks on Foxtrot, but he was going SLOW.

APU gen working?

To the 717 crew with the dual generator failure going in to ATL yesterday during IMC and dodging thunderstorms - nice work. Glad it turned out OK. Would like to know if they found out what the hell caused a dual failure?

Apparently the captain was wearing cowboy boots.

I remember in training they said don't crank the APU or it could drain the battery and the response from the instructor was always fly with the APU running. (jokingly sort of)

The ATL speed problem is because just about everywhere SW flies out west from what I have seen, it's check on with approach then immediately call the field in sight regardless if I see the dam thing then drop everything to do a base turn inside the FAF... touch down slam on the brakes to make first turn off then kill the APU once the brakes are set and roast everyone.

So when ATL says descend to 4,000 plan on short approach they are programmed to slow then drop the gear and turn inside the FAF when ATL really means 10 mile final. If I did the same thing for 20 years it would be hard to change maybe, too.
My last few ATL trips were perfect so I think the problem is fixed.

Did someone leave the iPad behind the thrust levers, in front of the cut-off switches? :D

Latest resources

Back