• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NFL's Pat Tillman Killed in Afghanistan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was saddened when I heard this news. What a great story it would have been to see him return to the grid iron some day.

As Sean Hannity pointed out on his show on Friday, it was very likely that Pat would never return to football after returning home, since his best years as a pro would have been gone.

People of this extraordinary quality and courage are still "Made in USA."

God bless them, and God bless the USA.

A quote for the Portland Independant Media Center:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--

Here's to better men.
Thanks Pat. God Bless.

Though his story is touching and is generating lot's of press, people must not forget the hundreds of other soldiers that have died along side of him in this battle who never even got the time of day due to the fact that they did not have a famous last name. For someone as "reserved" as Pat was I could not see him wanting all this media attention when hundreds of other slain troops are lucky if they are even mentioned in their hometown paper.

Imagine losing your father or brother overseas and they get less of a "thank you" due to the fact that they never became famous and were just ordinary folks.

Don't forget the many less famous and more ordinary troops that paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

3 5 0

Scholars of George Orwell say he did not say this, but may have implied it in a coversation with Rudyard Kipling:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Regardless of the source, all of us, including the French, can sleep peaceably because of all the rough men like Pat Tillman.

No, he would not like the publicity. Some men have greatness thrust upon them.

350Driver,

I agree with you. As you will note at the end of my original post, I stated that we should thank all of the service men and women that have gone into battle to give us our freedom. I have several friends that are over in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of them (now an ex-fiance) went over there about one month after 9-11. It was horrible watching CNN for hours at a time, sitting breathless when they announced that someone had been killed, waiting to hear if it was him. It was like the whole world came to a standstill. It put a huge toll on me, so I do understand what others with family members fighting for us are going through. I can only imagine the grief of Pat's wife, Marie.

So, for those people that put immature comments on that website, it makes me sick, because they have obviously never fought in battle or had a loved one that has been there. They get to trash the memory of KIA soldiers because of the very freedom of speech we are afforded because of people like Pat, and all the others that have volunteered to fight.

Kathy

Kathy

350 I agree with you about all the other unknown heros who, like Pat Tillman, have put their own personal aspirations aside to answer a greater calling.

I wonder how many other men and women were equally moved by the events of 9/11 and dropped what they were doing to become soldiers in arms and speed head long into danger, only to lose their lives as did Pat Tillman?

As some others in the media have rightly pointed out Pat has put a face on all those great Americans who would otherwise have died anonymously among most of us. While I am sure he would resent the media limelight his death has generated; he would at the same time be happy to know that it has also made us stop once again and give thanks to God that America is still abundantly populated with selfless heros who will step into harm's way when true evil and hatred attempts to destroy our nation and our very unique way of life.

As far as Pat Tillman's celebrity goes, he earned it the best way possible on a national scale. A relative unknown outside of Arizona, he only gained national recognition once he turned away from his lucrative NFL career to join the Army. With his death he has become the superlative example of what every mother and father will point to as they raise their children for many generations to come. That to me is what a real celebrity is and thankfully only a very few will ever qualify for it in my book.

Thank-you Pat!!

sqwkvfr said:
Just forget it. Don't give them the time of day. We all know what types of people make this country great and what types are working to destroy it.

Very true, but it does make you hope some logger out in Oregon will "accidently" drop a 200' Douglas Fir down onto their so-called "media center" (most likely some pot smoke-filled basement with a computer surrounded by a gaggle of loser Pacific Northwest hippie wannabes still whining about getting shot in the face by rubber bullets up at the Seattle WTO protests).

And if we're lucky, that tree will have some more of them with names like "Dove" and "Seedling" perched high its branches when it comes crashing down.

Godspeed Pat Tillman and to every patriot who has made the ultimate sacrifice and God bless all of those who are currently serving.

Here are a couple of worthy funds for the soldiers if you would like to help:
Operation USO care package
Intrepid Fallen Heros Fund

Last edited:
I posted this link in the other thread that moron unusual attitude started knocking Pat Tillman, the United States military and our country. Thankfully the thread was removed.

I am glad our brave men are sending more of these guys to personally visit Allah and make the world a safer place. Although this story is taking place in Iraq, I am sure it is happening in Afghanastan as well.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/na...,6771287.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines

God bless our troops. Our debt to you men and women can never be repaid. Thank you.

Latest resources

Back