NFL's Pat Tillman Killed in Afghanistan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Resume Writer

Very sad day here in Arizona. Pat Tillman, who played with the Cardinals was killed today in Afghanistan. After 9/11 he decided to turn down a $3.6 million contract renewal to serve his country. He wanted no interviews or press coverage. He just wanted to serve his country, along with his brother, who is still serving in the Army overseas. He also played for ASU and was a very humble, regular guy. He had just gotten married before he left and was very proud to serve his country.

He is just one example of the many individuals who sacrifice their own lives to serve our country. I know I thank each and everyone of them every day for sacrificing their ambitions and dreams to protect us.

Kathy

Kind if puts things in Perspective

Geez, makes all the complaining about stuff here really silly now doesn't it!

Now this man is a role Model for all the youngsters to admire! God Speed to the Family and friends, let his example shine throughout the country side.:(

He really was a quality individual. He enlisted in the Army as a Ranger because he was very "deeply affected by the 9/11 tragedy" and he felt strongly about giving back to his country for "the comfortable life he had lived that was afforded to him by the men and women in uniform."

I remember when it was announced that he joined up. He granted NO interviews to the press - no fanfare. He just went to do his job. I wish his family and his wife the best.

Sad

Ditto to all previous post!

Definately a true hero!

God bless his family and friends.

I remember hearing that his brother enlisted with him or was already a ranger or something to that affect. Any word on his fate?

I never thought a Scumdevil could be a hero (Pat went to ASU). I guess there's a first time for everything:).

Ranger Tillman would have made one hell of a Wildcat:)

Last edited:
Yes, his brother also enlisted with him. From all reports, it only involved Pat.

I know he and his brother were presented with the Espie (sp?) ESPN award and their other brother accepted the award for them. I think they were also awarded the Arthur Ash Humanitarian Award for their service. Everyone here is just blown away by this news. He was very well thought of in our community. He was not a typical sports star. As I said before, just a very normal guy who gave 110% to everything he did in life.

Thanks everyone for the wishes. I am going to forward this information to one of our local newscasters who is a friend of mine so that she can forward the thoughts to his family. Anyone who wants to send wishes to his family can do so at www.azcardinals.com

Here is an article that was done on him in the Arizona Republic newspaper:

Safety to give up NFL life for the Army

NFL.com wire reports

PHOENIX (May 23, 2002) -- Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman is giving up the NFL for the Army.

Tillman said he is enlisting in the Army for three years. Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis said Tillman, a two-year starter at free safety, wants to go through boot camp and join the elite Rangers program with his younger brother, Kevin, an infielder who spent last year with the Cleveland Indians' organization.

"This is very serious with Pat," McGinnis said. "It's very personal, and I honor that. I honor the integrity of that. It was not a snap decision he woke up and made yesterday. This has been an ongoing process, and he feels very strongly about it."

Tillman, a California native who was married two weeks ago and recently returned from a honeymoon in Bora Bora, talked to Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill, McGinnis and defensive coordinator Larry Marmie in separate interviews. He could not be reached for comment.

His agent, Frank Bauer, called the decision consistent with his client's contemplative, nonmaterialistic nature.

Tillman, an unrestricted free agent, spurned a five-year offer sheet from the St. Louis Rams in 2001 and allowed a multi-year deal with the Cardinals to sit on the table this spring despite Bauer's urging to sign.

"This is very consistent with how he conducts his life," Bauer said. "Patty is the type of guy who is very smart and very loyal. I remember when the Rams made their offer, he said, 'No, I want to stay with the Cardinals. If I have to play for the minimum, I don't care.' He axed the offer sheet and played another year. But he's always had a blueprint for what he wants to do. Now everything else is on the back burner."

Tillman, 25, never tired of football, but felt his hand was forced by the military's age restriction on entry in special-forces units, Bauer said. The agent said Tillman hopes to resume his NFL career when his enlistment is up.

Newlywed Marie Tillman supports her husband's decision to leave one rugged profession for a more dangerous one, Bauer said.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Tillman has always been distinguished by his appetite for rugged play and intelligence. As an undersized linebacker at Arizona State, he was the Pac-10's Defensive Player of the Year in 1997.

He warmed up for last year's training camp by competing in a 70.2-mile triathlon in June, and finished his fourth NFL year with 478 career tackles and three interceptions.

As a scholar, Tillman carried a 3.84 grade point average through college and graduated summa cum laude in 3½ academic years with a degree in marketing.

"The guy has got something to him, and that's why I wanted him on the team all these years," McGinnis said.

Latest resources

Back