Next FedEx Chief Plt Mtg???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jetjockey said:
So you still have to have someone do the song & dance for a 'low risk' applicant? I watched Top Gun many times back in the late 80's, does that count for anything?

Did you watch THREE times?:D :D :D

Jetjockey,

I could throw barbs at you, but I'll pass. Instead, why don't I list a cross section of where I have seen quite a few new faces in our magazines come from since last year:

ASA
Colgan
TransSates
Independence Air
Horizon
Pinnacle
Mesaba
NASCAR teams
Frontier
American
United
Delta
Various corporate operations
...and I know there are a lot more that I've overlooked...

I have personally flown with guys who flew nothing bigger than a biz jet and came to FDX from Tyson chicken, Eckerds, and other big corporate flight departments. Another new hire flew nothing bigger than a B-1900 (but he was an LCA there) There is no cookie cutter here, despite your misgivings. If you look at our LCA force, you'll see a large number of exclusively civilian backgrounds there too. Our training department also has lots of straight civilian guys.

I'm about as military as they get....14 years active duty and some wonderful time in the ANG. However, as both a line pilot and an occasional coach I have met a ton of very successful FedEx pilots from the civilian side. There is no "quota" of mil or civ guys at FDX, but rather an active hunt for quality aviators that CURRENT PILOTS CAN VOUCH FOR...

Low risk? Why is that bad? Bust a lot of checkrides? Bankrupt? Accidents due to bad judgement or been fired lately? All point to characteristics that MIGHT indicate issues. I don't think anyone will say anyone hired in the last 18 months at FDX is perfect, but the fact is there are a lot of apps for a few jobs, and the 5 or so mishaps at FDX have created a culture that is very risk adverse right now.

If you want to work at FedEx Express, God bless you! Its a great place, but I know it has to be very tough right now to rise to the top of the stack of applications. However, there is only one way to "help" that process, and getting another 1000 PIC probably ain't it. You need to network, network, and network. So...instead of throwing spears or smugly casting allegations you obviously know nothing about, try PMing a few purple types and get a vector towards someone with a similar background or mutual friends who might be able to help you out.

If you dont' want to work here, and you are just trying to stir the pot, then I would say your ignorance of the current state of affairs at FDX is showing. In that case...well...never mind...

AlbieF15 said:
Jetjockey,

I could throw barbs at you, but I'll pass. Instead, why don't I list a cross section of where I have seen quite a few new faces in our magazines come from since last year:

ASA
Colgan
TransSates
Independence Air
Horizon
Pinnacle
Mesaba
NASCAR teams
Frontier
American
United
Delta
Various corporate operations
...and I know there are a lot more that I've overlooked...

I have personally flown with guys who flew nothing bigger than a biz jet and came to FDX from Tyson chicken, Eckerds, and other big corporate flight departments. Another new hire flew nothing bigger than a B-1900 (but he was an LCA there) There is no cookie cutter here, despite your misgivings. If you look at our LCA force, you'll see a large number of exclusively civilian backgrounds there too. Our training department also has lots of straight civilian guys.

I'm about as military as they get....14 years active duty and some wonderful time in the ANG. However, as both a line pilot and an occasional coach I have met a ton of very successful FedEx pilots from the civilian side. There is no "quota" of mil or civ guys at FDX, but rather an active hunt for quality aviators that CURRENT PILOTS CAN VOUCH FOR...

Low risk? Why is that bad? Bust a lot of checkrides? Bankrupt? Accidents due to bad judgement or been fired lately? All point to characteristics that MIGHT indicate issues. I don't think anyone will say anyone hired in the last 18 months at FDX is perfect, but the fact is there are a lot of apps for a few jobs, and the 5 or so mishaps at FDX have created a culture that is very risk adverse right now.

If you want to work at FedEx Express, God bless you! Its a great place, but I know it has to be very tough right now to rise to the top of the stack of applications. However, there is only one way to "help" that process, and getting another 1000 PIC probably ain't it. You need to network, network, and network. So...instead of throwing spears or smugly casting allegations you obviously know nothing about, try PMing a few purple types and get a vector towards someone with a similar background or mutual friends who might be able to help you out.

If you dont' want to work here, and you are just trying to stir the pot, then I would say your ignorance of the current state of affairs at FDX is showing. In that case...well...never mind...

Nice post Albie... as usual. As for JetJockitch... just sounds like sour grapes to me!:p

Stop crying guys,........ it was meant to be light-hearted. Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings.

AlbieF15 said:
Jetjockey,

I could throw barbs at you, but I'll pass...

...Our training department also has lots of straight civilian guys.
Sorry Albie, I know you guys are above bar, but I had to do it. :D

JL was up in ANC last week, and left with a stack of potentials from Joe.... they will be meeting this next week. (ok, that was twice, Tony, you really need a thrid time?)

FedEx1 said:
(ok, that was twice, Tony, you really need a thrid time?)
OK, so it falls into the category of geography jokes - - you know, you had to be there?!? :)

Post #3 was originally a duplicate of Post #2. HoursHore noticed a trend, and I just tried to stick with the theme. Again, though, it loses something when it has to be explained. Maybe I could delete all my posts on this thread just to add to the confusion.... hmmmmm.....

:)

At least English got it.

:)

At least English got it.

Latest resources

Back