Next career move?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
islandhopper said:
135 jet /turbine operators have the reputation of cutting corners and taking chances a 121 operation wouldnt be able to get away with as the feds dont watch 135 ops as hard... That being said your interview at your dream job will be much different than if you came out of a 121 job... they will ask you a lot more safety related and decision making questions,... trying to see if you would do something unsafe "just to get the job done"...

Example; your dying father is waiting for you in the airport terminal, complete with local paramedics and emergency personell, he is to be emergency evac'd to a larger hospital, you fly in to do the "lifeguard" flight and before you begin the approach, the tower notifies you the weather is below mins... What do you do?
QUOTE]
The weather below mins did happen to me on a lifeguard, organ harvest flight. We took a crew of surgeons from IND to SWF. Forecast was for 1500 and 5 but on arrival it was 200 and 1/2 with appr lights out. Below mins. We looked at some plates figured out that Bridgeport, CN was only +/-40 miles away and we were legal on wx and landing distance by 5'. That's right kids 5'. Anyway we diverted and enroute had approach call our dispatch so that they could divert the ambulance to BDF. It wasn't ideal but it was safe and was the right answer. Of course both of us are furloughed 121 pilots but I believe that my military experience coupled with that allows me to think outside of the box a little bit.
Not trying to pat myself on the back just trying to show how you can turn a negative situation into a winning one with a little thinking outside of the norm.

Alaska82 said:
I'm looking for some advice on what career move to make next. I fly 135 scheduled cargo in barons and 402's. I got about 1800 tt and 300 me. I've got three choices. 1. Go to a regional. 2. I got a line on a 135 MU2 PIC job. 3. Right seat job in a 135 Lear 24 with a 1 year contract. Then upgrade after that year with another 2 year contract.

My long term goal is to fly internationl long haul flights. Which of these 3 jobs would you guess would be most likely to land me my dream job? The T prop job would pay the best with no contract. How important is prior 121 time? Would having more PIC turbine time be better in a smaller ship? Or would right seat time for a 121 be better?

Thanks in advance.

oops was still logged in under my friends account, if the profile is confusing.

A bunch of people have asked that question. From what I remember is that FEDEX would rather see 121 time. Yes, you would be right seat, but only for a couple of years and then its PIC JET. I would think that the training department would rather see 121 time also. 121 time shows them that you can get though the training(most of the time).Just my .2

My long term goal is to fly internationl long haul flights. Which of these 3 jobs would you guess would be most likely to land me my dream job? The T prop job would pay the best with no contract. How important is prior 121 time? Would having more PIC turbine time be better in a smaller ship? Or would right seat time for a 121 be better?

Thanks in advance.

If this is your goal go with the MU2. You will build the PIC faster and will have your 1000 PIC turbine box checked when a door opens up. Meet the mins and make some friends in HR.

Latest resources

Back