Next career move?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaska82

I'm looking for some advice on what career move to make next. I fly 135 scheduled cargo in barons and 402's. I got about 1800 tt and 300 me. I've got three choices. 1. Go to a regional. 2. I got a line on a 135 MU2 PIC job. 3. Right seat job in a 135 Lear 24 with a 1 year contract. Then upgrade after that year with another 2 year contract.

My long term goal is to fly internationl long haul flights. Which of these 3 jobs would you guess would be most likely to land me my dream job? The T prop job would pay the best with no contract. How important is prior 121 time? Would having more PIC turbine time be better in a smaller ship? Or would right seat time for a 121 be better?

Thanks in advance.

oops was still logged in under my friends account, if the profile is confusing.

Last edited:
What is your career goal?, It would look like getting your 1000 hr's turbin PIC would be the right move. But what kind of training is done at each place, what is the turnover record, what is there business. If the MU-2 is marginal the LJ place might be a better bet. But stay away from the regionals right now, you will learn alot more by flying PIC.

TIGV said:
For my next career move I'd like a double-barrel shotgun-blast to the face.

Sounds like you really like aviation. Maybe you should become a pro golfer.

135 jet /turbine operators have the reputation of cutting corners and taking chances a 121 operation wouldnt be able to get away with as the feds dont watch 135 ops as hard... That being said your interview at your dream job will be much different than if you came out of a 121 job... they will ask you a lot more safety related and decision making questions,... trying to see if you would do something unsafe "just to get the job done"...

Example; your dying father is waiting for you in the airport terminal, complete with local paramedics and emergency personell, he is to be emergency evac'd to a larger hospital, you fly in to do the "lifeguard" flight and before you begin the approach, the tower notifies you the weather is below mins... What do you do?

This actually happened to a friend of mine interviewing at his "dream job". He had volunteered info previously that his family, specifially his father were the most important things to him in his life... Then they sprung the above question to him... he felt boxed in by the question and blew the interview. lucky for him... the company furloughed big time just a few months later...

Alaska82 said:
I'm looking for some advice on what career move to make next. I fly 135 scheduled cargo in barons and 402's. I got about 1800 tt and 300 me. I've got three choices. 1. Go to a regional. 2. I got a line on a 135 MU2 PIC job. 3. Right seat job in a 135 Lear 24 with a 1 year contract. Then upgrade after that year with another 2 year contract.

My long term goal is to fly internationl long haul flights. Which of these 3 jobs would you guess would be most likely to land me my dream job? The T prop job would pay the best with no contract. How important is prior 121 time? Would having more PIC turbine time be better in a smaller ship? Or would right seat time for a 121 be better?

Thanks in advance.

Alaska82 said:

Thanks in advance.

www.truckschoolsusa.com or maybe be a TSA Security agent. These would pay better than any of the choices listed above.

islandhopper said:
your dying father is waiting for you in the airport terminal, complete with local paramedics and emergency personell, he is to be emergency evac'd to a larger hospital, you fly in to do the "lifeguard" flight and before you begin the approach, the tower notifies you the weather is below mins... What do you do?

If asked this in an interview I tell the interviewer that I'd declare an emergency to ATC and explain the circumstance in a "to the point" manner! I could use FAR 91.3 and excercise my PIC authority and of course later I'd fill out a NASA form. If worse came to worse a 60 day suspension certainly beats a dead father who could have been saved!! If this happened in a car I will bet my bottom dollar that every single one of you would be driving as fast as you possibly could blowing through stop signs and traffic lights. Sure laws/FAR's would be broken but the GREATER GOOD would be done by saving another human being!! On the other hand if you do the above to get to a business meeting, hot date, or bachelor party that you "must" attend, you will NOT have my sympathy and certainly not the FAA's either! Being PIC means making command decisions and knowing instinctively when to say when.

Last edited:
PAPA FOX! said:
I could use FAR 91.3 and excercise my PIC authority and of course later I'd fill out a NASA form. If worse came to worse a 60 day suspension certainly beats a dead father who could have been saved!!

That's exactly what they're not looking for. NASA forms can't be used for intentional rule breaks - i.e. you knew what you were doing and went ahead and did it anyway. Well, you could fill one out but it won't do you any good.

Also, yeah, it sure beats a dead father. But what if you ran off the end of the runway because of [inset wx event]. Then you've killed more people than just your father.

~wheelsup

P.S. Alaska - why not post this message in the cargo forum, and ask where the guys flying for your specific target companies came from, their backgrounds, etc. That should give you an idea of where to start. That's what I did, and it worked pretty well - kinda like working the "problem" backward :).

Last edited:
PAPA FOX! said:
If asked this in an interview I tell the interviewer that I'd declare an emergency to ATC and explain the circumstance in a "to the point" manner! I could use FAR 91.3 and excercise my PIC authority and of course later I'd fill out a NASA form. If worse came to worse a 60 day suspension certainly beats a dead father who could have been saved!! If this happened in a car I will bet my bottom dollar that every single one of you would be driving as fast as you possibly could blowing through stop signs and traffic lights. Sure laws/FAR's would be broken but the GREATER GOOD would be done by saving another human being!! On the other hand if you do the above to get to a business meeting, hot date, or bachelor party that you "must" attend, you will NOT have my sympathy and certainly not the FAA's either! Being PIC means making command decisions and knowing instinctively when to say when.

Thats pretty much how my friend answered and also how he blew the interview... Remember it is an INTERVIEW... I personally would have answered "oh well it would sure suck for my dad to die today but it would suck even more if my dad and I BOTH died on the same day"...

islandhopper said:
Thats pretty much how my friend answered and also how he blew the interview... Remember it is an INTERVIEW... I personally would have answered "oh well it would sure suck for my dad to die today but it would suck even more if my dad and I BOTH died on the same day"...

Any dip$hit who asks you these stupid scenario questions at interviews deserved to get biatch-slapped right there on the spot.

Where do these interviewers come from? are they beat up regional lifers?

I would laugh at the prik and walk out. sheesh...

People dying in the back and you cant shoot an approach because its 1600RVR instead of 1800? is that what were talking about? call me a rebel or a rogue, I'll shoot the approach......if I was the interviewer Id hire the honest guy, not the farkin dork who would let his dad die over 200 RVR.

I guess they want rule followers, even if they laugh and giggle thier way up to "410 dude".

talk about a flawed process.

:rolleyes: .

Latest resources

Back