Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GVFlyer said:

Gumby,

The GV is great. It has the flying qualities of a Scooter, but you can unbuckle and go to the back for a cup of coffee. The airplane does everything for you - all you really have to do is bring the gear and flaps up after take-off then send them back down again for landing. It knows all the terrain on earth and every approach and will avoid the former and fly the latter for you.

It has all the bells and whistles - Heads-Up Display, Forward Looking Infared, automatic pressurization, automatic three zone temperature control, automatic anti-ice, no-fuel management required other than having enough to get to destination, 2-3 Honeywell SPZ 8500 FMS's, at least six 9 inch displays, trailing link gear to make a hero out of you on every landing, and an outrageous thrust to weight ratio.

Having said that, Gulfstream doesn't make the GV anymore - everything rolling off the line now is a product improvement version - either a G500 or the longer range G550 (6750NM at .80M, 6000nm at .85M, 5000nm at .88M). These airplanes have 6 % more thrust, better aerodynamics (less interference, parasite and induced drag), smaller new generation avionics which weigh 220 lbs less, a 5' 6" larger cabin, 25% more baggage area, and a new cockpit. This is the coolest part. The new displays are four 14.1 inch full color LCD's which offer too many features to describe here, but some of them are: a three dimensional moving map display (better than X Wing!), real time weather downloaded from the satellite and superimposed on your route of flight, and a built-in Electronic Flight Bag with the Jeppesen plate displayed on your Nav Display and a little green jet moving around on the plate to show your position. Gulfstream is the first in the industry to certify these displays.

All the GV's and their variants have a normal cruise of .85 mach. They all can always start at level 410, regardless of conditions, and finish the flight at FL510. The charted weight for making FL510 is 57,000 lbs (the BOW for most of the jets is around 48,000lbs), but it can be coached up sooner.

The C-20 you will be flying is unique. It has a forward cargo door, seats for 24 sailors and marines, overhead storage compartments, and palletized mission gear that will load through the cargo door after you've taken the seats out. It's a real military airplane. One of the former commanders of that outfit now works for NetJets in Columbus. The guys at Andrews can hook you up.

As for job opportunities on the outside - they're great if you have GIV/GV experience. A friend who is chief pilot of a GV operation, just hired a furloughed US Air 73 driver because he couldn't find a qualified Gulfstream pilot, another friend just hired a Beechjet pilot directly into a GV for the same reason. Yet another friend who insists on a highly qualified GIV pilot has been unable to fill his slot for over 8 months and I can't recommend anyone to help him. Everone I know well enough to recommend is working.

The major difference between the majors and Gulfstream Corporate, in my view, is economic opportunity loss and stability. In most of the majors it's about seven years to $100,000 if you last that long. Coming out of the military, you should be able to start at at least that figure as a qualified Gulfstream pilot. AVJET, for instance, will bring in a G-IV Captain at $140,000. If you get the right corporate job you will be paid as much as a senior airline captain, fly better equipment to more interesting places and have a better quality of life. You will also develop personal relationships with people who appreciate what you do for them.

I swear Allen Paulson’s ghost, that’s the only explanation, possesses this man…:eek: :D :D :D :D

GV...Wow!! Thanks for all the great info! I am looking forward to the transition even more now...this board rocks...thanks for taking the time to send all that.

Gumby, Is that a Navy unit flying the G-V or Air Force? I heard a rumor that Navy was getting them but didn't ever hear which squadron or where they were based??

LA Confidential said:
I swear Allen Paulson’s ghost, that’s the only explanation, possesses this man…:eek: :D :D :D :D

Al asked me to tell you that he spelled his name "ALAN."

GV

GVFlyer your "box" is full, so to speak

GVFlyer,

I appreciate your advice and input.

Thanks for your time.

Don

.........and actually, it's the reservists that are usually 'watching over' the tars................

see ya.

Dice,
That's the Navy, but the Air Force has all kinds of gucci stuff on their side so they may have them now as well.

ScaReal,
Very true...very true

Latest resources

Back