Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
took my First class FAA physical yesterday, my doc is some sort of liason for my area. NO CHANGE to physicals if they change the age.........
I talked to a friend thats been with the FAA for years yesterday about the issue, and indicated that a major change WILL be implemented to the age 55 plus medicals. He himself is 56 years old and does not think he will be able to hold a 1st class. Ill be the first to buy a pack of smokes or a supersize value meal for all the 55 plus captains I fly with..........

I talked to a friend thats been with the FAA for years yesterday about the issue, and indicated that a major change WILL be implemented to the age 55 plus medicals. He himself is 56 years old and does not think he will be able to hold a 1st class. Ill be the first to buy a pack of smokes or a supersize value meal for all the 55 plus captains I fly with..........
If that's true than those failing the post 55 medical should offset any pilots who make it past 60. If an even larger number fail the post 55 medical, upgrade will be even quicker than it is now with the age 60 rule intact.

If that's true than those failing the post 55 medical should offset any pilots who make it past 60. If an even larger number fail the post 55 medical, upgrade will be even quicker than it is now with the age 60 rule intact.
TRUEEEEEEEE!

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Most other nations have much stricter medical standards. Here's Japan's:
Uncorrected near vision maximum of 20/60, uncorrected distance vision maximum 20/80, corrected vision 20/20 (20/15 preferred), Cholesterol under 200, Height/Weight: BMI (body mass index) of 27 or less (kgs./cms./cms.= BMI).

The BMI alone will knock off quite a few, not to mention uncorrected vision and cholesterol.

I suppose that this will have the effect of forcing many left seaters into the right seat starting at 55. That is, assuming that the class 2 won't also be more restrictive.

Pandora's Box is being opened.

If you guys actually come to blows in a face-to-face meeting, I think we should have a PPV webcast of it. It could be fund raiser for FI. Oh yeah-my Dad could beat up your dad.:rolleyes:

Washington Headquarters Press Release

For Immediate Release

Release No. AOC 03-07
January 30, 2007
Phone: (202) 267-3883
FAA to Propose Pilot Retirement Age Change

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Marion C. Blakey today announced that the FAA will propose to raise the mandatory retirement age for U.S. commercial pilots from 60 to 65. Speaking before pilots and aviation experts at the National Press Club, Blakey said that the agency plans to propose adopting the new International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard that allows one pilot to be up to age 65 provided the other pilot is under age 60.
The FAA plans to issue a formal Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) later this year and will publish a final rule after careful consideration of all public comments, as required by law.
“A pilot’s experience counts — it’s an added margin of safety,” said Blakey. “Foreign airlines have demonstrated that experienced pilots in good health can fly beyond age 60 without compromising safety.”
On September 27, 2006, Administrator Blakey established a group of airline, labor and medical experts to recommend whether the United States should adopt the new ICAO standard and determine what actions would be necessary if the FAA were to change its rule. The Age 60 Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) did not reach a consensus recommendation but did provide detailed insight and analysis that will be helpful as the FAA develops a rule.
Since 1959, the FAA has required that all U.S. pilots stop flying commercial airplanes at age 60. In November 2006, ICAO, the United Nations’ aviation organization, increased the upper age limit for pilots to age 65, provided that the other pilot is under age 60.
The November 29, 2006 Age 60 ARC report, appendices, and public comments are available online at http://dms.dot.gov, docket number 26139.

Randy Babbitt would have been on Today, GMA and CBS' early show this morning....

Hey Andy,

Forgive me if, for a short moment, I say "I told you so." :) Like I said in a previous post, it's a snowball rolling down hill picking up attention in all quarters especially the media. I think we can all agree that the NPRM is a done deal. There are a few things left to be decided and, as always, the devil is in the details:

1. Will there be legislative cover for all parties (FAA, the airlines, the unions) from litigation?

2. Will there be a concurrent change (more testing to higher standards) in medical certification requirements in Part 61?

3. Will it be a phased implementation or immediate?

4. Will there be a concurrent change requiring retirement from ALL commercial flying (Corporate 91, 91K, 135) at the same 121 retirement age?

5. Three or four more items that are important to some but not on my radar.

I understand both sides of this argument and respect both. I am fortunate in that my decidedly better half has pulled the plug on her major airline career and will largely avoid the heartache this change will cause. My career may be affected if item 4 listed above is part of the deal. Nontheless, I think we had all better get used to the idea that this change is coming and coming soon and plan accordingly. Good luck.

Here's a novel idea if this thing actually comes to pass: Conduct a vote of all pilots at your airline on this issue. If the majority want the retirement age to stay at 60, then get your contract amended to reflect that. If most want 65, then go with it. Heck, AA management (CR Smith) was the one that gave us age 60 in the first place, so I wouldn't think most mgmts would really care if the pilots want age 60 to stay....gets the senior dudes off their payroll sooner.

Please tell me you're kidding.

If you're not... to quote Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction:

"What country you from???"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back