News Anchor does story on regional pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EUT said:
Can you cite any of the above mentioned? I would be interested to see them.

EUT

More than 5 years ago (can't remember exactly) around the time ALPA did the "one level of safety campaign. I think Dateline did one of the TV shows. Others picked up on it. Sorry, I don't know more details.

I think regionals should start pilots at 40,000 a year. But then I also think that regionals should start people out that have better than 4,000 hours with at least 2,000 multi PIC and 1,000 turbine PIC.

When you are worth more than nothing, you will get paid more than nothing.

dont forget

dont forget there used to be ways around the regional airline.
you could put your time in with a charter outfit and upgrade through their equipment, and get somewhat decent money flying someones king air around.
you could put your time in with well paying cargo and bypass the regional experience all together. (well paying is relative but its much more than an FO)
but now the actuality of bypassing the regional enroute to a major has gotten more difficult....plus getting that decent money required you to be the captian/PIC.....same as it is now.
ask yourself just how much do you think they should pay the second fiddle?

what i dont like is the established pilot professional in the industry starts out as zero when they move to another airline....you dont see surgeons starting out as student doctors (FO's) at a new hospital when their old one went out of business do ya? no, they start right where they left off. the only cure for that is corporate aviation....where your company goes under...and you get into another where you left off most of the time.

there are options.....some have to look at them before taking a job.
others have no other choice if they want to keep flying (ie: me..i ran out of time, but things are better now and i have options if i want to exercise them)....its flying. it pays something at least...and it gets better from there over time. for those waiting fo rthe 8 year upgrade at some backflow'd regional.....they need to weight their options and get out or theyll be stuck making nothing for a very long time.

It has been my experience that anyone who chooses to talk to the press will regret it. You will be their stooge and will be used out of context to make whatever point they have decided to make.

Well bottom-line... did you have any luck finding someone to do the interview, or did you do it yourself?

I think almost any pilot working at Great Lakes would take center stage for that interview. Let your neighbor talk to THE worst paid pilots in the 121 industry, with hardly any contractual work rules to keep safety off of the bare mins set by the FAA for every criteria.. yet unable after 4 years to obtain a new contract and continually being denied release by the NMB for self help... unable to even get MESA rates (which would be a huge improvement.) Then the story could segway into the RLA and the NMB denying the ability for self help to improve the existing conditions.

That article about the Mesaba pilots would read like this for Lakes:
Barrett, 27 and 2nd yr CAPTAIN, doesn't know when he will step off of this two-job treadmill, where he earns $20,000 a year flying and $12,000 as a waiter. He and many other Lakers work second jobs, dashing the notion that all pilots live comfortably on six-figure salaries.

About 65 percent of Great Lakes' pilots earn $15,000 to $22,000 a year, according to the GLA unit of the Teamsters Local 747.

-----a quote

Today 09:58:Axel - It has been my experience that anyone who chooses to talk to the press will regret it. You will be their stooge and will be used out of context to make whatever point they have decided to make

------

ladies and gentlemen, i give you the success that entertainment news and sensationalism now enjoys. (look above)

thank you Rush Linbaugh. Thank you G. Gordon Liddy. Thank you to all other crap talk jockeys on the air for making our news sources unreliable and unworthy to be called news.

everything is now crap. everything called news is now untrustable and unusuable and considered to be from "leftist sources" thanks to these programming clowns. especially Mrs. clinton who called the news a "Right Wing conspiracy" when the story broke about their business dealings that are beyond orders of magnitude of shady. now news is a bad thing....

and i give you a first hand account that the real professionals and real journalists are holding back tears as what was once a phenominal industry of trust and respect now has the same general stink about them as the stereotyped Lawyers and their greedy greasy business.

rating seeking news directors and "reporters"....thanks alot Fukkers.

Naw, there is nothing new under the sun. It is not due to Limbaugh or Brokaw. This was not invented in your lifetime or mine, but probably predates the printing press.

I recall seeing a local news report following the collision between the PSA seven-two and the 172 at SAN. The reporter had heard a "vision restricting device"was being worn by the instrument student in the 172. Like any good reporter, he did his homework and had a hood with him on the set. He then proceeded to demonstrate its use by donning it backwards with the headband covering his eyes like a blindfold; editorializing the whole time on the inevitability of such a senseless tragedy with novice pilots being allowed to fly around blind.

Don't talk to the press; left or right leaning. They will get it wrong either by ignorance or design or both.

Last edited:
i guess what ive been saying is.....better find someone to do this story who knows what the hell theyre doing...cause theres not many of them left anymore. as soon as the current crop of old guys retires....thats it. noones left.

no more bob woodwards.

What is this BS

How can this be? Okay, a guy goes to ERAU and spends $45-60K for an education, gets a degree in something aviation related and now sits at Roadhouse Bar and Grill rolling silverware into napkins for minimum wage? At least he has a college degree to hang on his wall.

But then I had another guy riding out to the Bahamas with me yesterday to a construction site who paid $25K to Gulfstream International Academy and after completing their "airline" school two weeks ago, is working as a waiter at Outback Steakhouse. How can someone spend $25K for a training program in a Beech 1900 and not even come out of it with a TYPE RATING in the aircraft?

People really need to do their homework before choosing the path to their future. Judgement is a key element in the cockpit. Do these people use good judgement when they enroll in these programs. Good intentions and good judgement are two totally different things.

"what i dont like is the established pilot professional in the industry starts out as zero when they move to another airline....you dont see surgeons starting out as student doctors (FO's) at a new hospital when their old one went out of business do ya? no, they start right where they left off. the only cure for that is corporate aviation....where your company goes under...and you get into another where you left off most of the time."

Not that there's anything wrong with unions, but with a union you are not going to be able to jump over existing staff to higher positions.

At non-union places, you can be hired off the street to be a captain. In fact at non-union places you can take an FO position at CA pay. I can FO in an ATR right now with my carvan CA pay and start out in the right seat at over 40,000 a year. The new hire ATR FO might start out around 18,000. The only risk is the same company could keep hiring off the street captains for the ATR and pass up current FO's for upgrade. Such is life...at least I don't have to get on the news and explain why ALPA can't get me more than ALPO.

Latest resources

Back