Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atafan said:
FlyBoeingJets,

The widebody aircraft and International markets are being developed even as we type. It's called ATA.

How did that press release read? "Extensive international network on the East and West Coast."

Good point.

Gary Kelly is holding his cards close, as he should.

There are competing demands here. ATA is a good fit for SWA to codeshare for international. I anticipate the codeshares to last as long as currently agreed upon, maybe longer. But it should continue only as long as it remains low frequency. The pilots union wants to that flying really bad. SWAPA may even fight for it to be covered by SWA pilots sooner rather than later....I hope cooler heads prevail.

My question is...How can SWA do it, efficiently, if we don't get a "super" 737 in 4 years with a common type with the 300/500/700???

And lets face it, SWA needs that efficiency to keep paying high pilot wages. You can't get something for nothing.

The New Boeing 737-900ER ?

The 737-900ER is a short-to-medium range twinjet that increases the capability of the Next-Generation 737 family. It was launched on July 18, 2005 , with an order for 30 airplanes from Lion Air. The exterior dimensions of the new 737-900ER are identical to the 737-900. Aerodynamic and structural changes allow the 737-900ER to carry more passengers and fly farther than the 737-900. Entry into service is scheduled for the first half of 2007.
Major Changes

• An extra pair of exit doors, aft of the wings
  • A two-position tail skid
  • A flat rear pressure bulkhead
  • Wing strengthening changes
  • Enhancements to the leading and trailing edge flap systems
  • Up to two optional auxiliary fuel tanks
  • Optional Blended Winglets
Benefits

• Carries 26 more passengers than the 737-900, up to 215 passengers in a single-class configuration
  • Flies about 500 nautical miles farther, up to 3,200 nm (5,925 km)
  • Weighs more than 10,000 pounds (4,536 kgs) less than the A321.
  • Has lower operating costs than the A321; about 9 percent lower per trip, and 7 percent lower per seat.

Truckdriver said:
If selling the oldest 5 airplanes that you OWN will reduce some of your debt and make you some money at the same time, then it is a great business move. A reduction in debt with an increase in cash is a great move even if it is done by selling old airplanes that will be replaced by new ones with lower maintenance costs. If you think that is a bad move you obviously have a flight technology degree from Riddle and no understanding of how to run a business.

So you admit it?

We all remember those guys who said when the free maintenance runs out it would change the ballgame for JetBlue.

Now you're saying they were right??? ;)

We all know running an airline business is not the same as running a used airplane lot.

Heck, I like to trade in my cars at 60K before they lose all their trade in value...It's all about resale baby!

Sorry, can't agree with you. It's all about trying to prevent a short term cash crunch. For the record I think JetBlue is on track to do well when they get thru this tough time. But selling 6 yr old A320's is not a "good" thing. It is a means to survive.

Last edited:
And all of the changes Southwest will make are in response to what JetBlue is doing. If Southwest Doesn't change, JetBlue will stomp them into the ground. I see JetBlue becoming bigger and better than Southwest because they are already one step ahead of them with the E-190. All of the sudden Southwest is talking about IFE, assigned seating, and 100 seaters like they have come across a great new plan. JetBlue had that all figured out years ago and the plan is now being executed. I think Southwest has realized they have a competitive moster on their hands and they are scrambling to figure out how to beat it. Good luck!!

Yeah your one step ahead of us. We don't lose money or sell airplanes. If SWA is worried about anybody its AirTran.. I'd say we are worried about ourselves more then anyone else.

Stay tuned for 2nd QTR earnings...

atafan said:
The New Boeing 737-555SR ?

The 737-555SR is a very short, short-to-medium range twinjet that filos the niche and capability of the Next-Generation 737 family. It was launched on July 18, 2005 , with an order for 303 airplanes from WN. The exterior dimensions of the new 737-555SR are identical to the 737-500 of old. Aerodynamic and structural changes allow the 737-555SR to carry fewer passengers on shorter routes to underservised locals, carrying a max of 100 passengers and is scheduled for the first half of 2007.
Major Changes
  • Removal of overwing exit doors
  • Removal of one engine
  • No pressure bulkhead
  • Wing structure from King air
  • Enhancements to the leading and trailing edge flap systems
  • Optional Blended Winglets
Benefits
  • Carries 37 fewer passengers than the 737-700,
  • Flies about 500 nautical miles less, up to 1,200 nm (5,925 km)
  • Weighs less than 60,000 pounds .
  • Has lower operating costs than the E-190; about 9 percent lower per trip, and 7 percent lower per seat.

Just kidding..................

Truckdriver said:
If selling the oldest 5 airplanes that you OWN will reduce some of your debt and make you some money at the same time, then it is a great business move.
Yeah, because leasing an airplane is such a wiser choice. :rolleyes:

truckdriver said:
A reduction in debt with an increase in cash is a great move even if it is done by selling old airplanes that will be replaced by new ones with lower maintenance costs.
The airplanes that you are selling are only 6 years old!!! When I came to AA I was flying B-727's that were 35 years old. And guess what; AA owned them too!! Fact of the matter is, Jetblue is in a Liquidity crisis! If it didn't need cash now then it would not be selling its ASSETS to bring in quick cash. Looks like your airline is selling the furniture to keep the house their truckdriver. Spin it anyway you want. This does not look good for JetBlue.

truckdriver said:
If you think that is a bad move you obviously have a flight technology degree from Riddle and no understanding of how to run a business.
Nope. I have a degree from Auburn University. It is you that lacks the understanding of todays Airline environment. I am sorry that your airline is dying a slow death, but denial isn't going to pay your mortgage.

Oh, and BTW. If you are going to start spewing all this BS like it is the almighty Gospel. How about backing up your BS with a few facts and such. Otherwise you are just a clueless flaimbater.

Last edited:
And AA has all the answers?
I worked there so I know first hand that they don't.
Lets see how smug you are when the company tells the apa they need more cuts to make money. Too funny.........

B6Driver said:
And AA has all the answers?
I worked there so I know first hand that they don't.
Lets see how smug you are when the company tells the apa they need more cuts to make money. Too funny.........
I never said they did sir. Fact of the matter is your airline is selling airplanes because it can't pay the bills.

If that hurts your feelings I am sorry.

Furthermore, I dont fly for AA anymore and I am not going back.

How's the Flow back job you stole from some AE captain?
Then again, its nothing new for you AA boys.
Come to think of it, with all your 1,234 postings, you must be furloughed to waste so much time on such a silly MB as this.

Last edited:
B6Driver said:
How's the Flow back job you stole from some AE captain?
Then again, its nothing new for you AA boys.

Again you are making assumptions there. I am not flying for AE. I am flying a heavy for a Part 91 Fortune 500 Company.

Again, you can't attack my message and opinion so you try to attack me and only make a total fool of yourself.

Once again, sorry B6 is selling A320's to pay the bills but you shouldn't lash out at me for that.

Latest resources

Back