Newby life at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bigdaddy,

Have you seen those US Navy commercials "The adventure of a lifetime" or something like that. You go Navy and I'll take the domestic 737 job off your hands.

2nd year pay

Just a little thought or two on geting that 2nd year pay.

I understand the concern you have regarding giving away your whole line as a first year guy, but consider these thoughts.

Approximately 53 trips at second year pay is enough to replace 90 trips of first year pay.

There may be a lack of DOT, but if the reserves are being utilized, then there are opportunities to fly for second year pay.
Any trip assigned to a reserve, that you're legal for, is yours for the taking at EF rates (2nd year pay.)

Nobody will take a 4 day block of reserve! Well then if you don't get used the first day, put the last 3 days in as a partial giveaway. You can create the Partial GA during the first day RAP but nobody can pick it up until your first days RAP is complete. Continue this process with the remaining days as the RAP each day ends. Especially if you see something assigned to a reserve that you'd be legal for if only you were not on reserve. I assure you there are plenty of guys that live in domicile that will pick up the last day of a RSV block, and a fair number that would roll the dice for your last two days especially if when they pick it up there's nothing yet assigned. You guys could even help eachother out by taking your buddies last day(s) of reserve if it makes him legal for a nice 2 day assigned to another reserve. Although the day you pick up from him will only be at straight pay maybe he'll return the favor next month.

We've all been members of some great teams in the past there's no reason to abandon all that great training because we're new to this job. Talk to eachother, figure out how things work here and get some of that 2nd year pay!

If you're no longer on first year pay see if you can't lend these guys a hand. Pick up a RSV day if you live in domicile. So what if they use you, you're getting 6 trips min. Check TT/GA on a day off vice outbidding a first year guy in DOT.

I have 15% taken out for my 401k, I pay an extra $30.00/month for extra life insurance, $60.00/month for uniforms, $20.00/month for "pilot aid" and $25.00 per month for medical/dental

InHot, Is this a misprint? Are you only paying $25 per month for both medical and dental? Do you have a plan with some sort of huge deductable? I am currently paying over $200 per month for a PPO plan ($15 co-pay, $200 deductable per family member) and dental.

No, not a misprint, just great benefits.

PPO employee + children is $9.00/month ($15 copay $150.00 deductible per person per year to max of $500.00 per family per year).

Basic dental for employee + family is free.
I took the optional dental ($16.00/month) since I knew I had some crowns to be done this year.

The optional pays 80% for crowns vs 50%
with the basic plan.

SWAbigdaddy said:

I am in my second year at SWA and its not for me. The reasons people like this place are the same reasons i don't. I like flying big airplanes to international locations while eating lots of crew meals. I like longer trips and longer blocks of days off. I like to do stuff on lay overs besides pounding beers and flying 12 hours later.
Before you come, ask yourself long and hard if you want to fly domestic 737s for the rest of your career. There is just a lack of adventure for me.

You have just described what ATA is about (757 and especially L1011 flying).

That is incredible

Torpid-

I have to pay $900 a month at my current job for a family of 5 PPO with $200 deductible and no vision or dental. All that and my after tax take home (before healthcare) is only 2800 a month!

Good news. I complained to the head honcho and they lowered the employee share to only $450 a month.

SWA is still way better no matter how you slice it.

SWABigDaddy-

Thanx for the perspective. I think people make decisions based on other peoples values alot. (ie: get out of the military cause all the airlines are hiring and paying big bucks. Stay at some job they hate cause it pays the mortgage.) It is nice to hear something besides all the sunshine occasionally.

I also love to fly international and like to change planes every few years. But I still wouldn't pass up an opportunity to fly for SWA. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!

Perhaps you can't fly international at SWA. But, last time I checked the employee web site SWA was giving away some great European ski vacations for a song. You would fly international and have a long lay over, but you'd be on vacation with your honey instead of just jet lagged in the crew bus awaiting your return trip.

-LFD

SWAbigdaddy said:
I like flying big airplanes to international locations while eating lots of crew meals. I like longer trips and longer blocks of days off. I like to do stuff on lay overs besides pounding beers and flying 12 hours later. Once you expand your world it's hard to go back. I thought i would love it here, but i was wrong. I wish someone made me think twice about coming here. Before you come, ask yourself long and hard if you want to fly domestic 737s for the rest of your career. There is just a lack of adventure for me. :rolleyes:

Dude,

We need to trade jobs! I may have just what your looking for.

I fly a big airplane (585K max T/O weight)...we get lots of long trips (two to three weeks at a time) to international locations (mostly to places where folks are getting killed daily), and have plenty to do on my layovers (like laundry or sleep after a 23 hour mission).

If you could sell your line number on E-Bay for all the cash I have, I'd gladly use the "Buy-It-Now" Option. :D

Sorry to hear you don't like it at SWA. ATA may be the place for you. I know a few folks there who love it and they have 737-800s and 757-300s...great company from what I've heard. Seriously...you make a good point and thanks for having the guts to write what you did. I hope you find what your looking for.

As for me, yes domestic 737s for the rest of my life is exactly what I want! (That, a deactivation of my unit, and a win over GA Tech this weekend.)

Hunker Down Hairy Dawgs!

Yahtz

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone...especially to all the Soliders, Sailors, Marines and Airmen serving our country so we can have choices! May God be with them!

Latest resources

Back