Newby life at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LuckyDad

Hi everyone...I keep reading these threads and it seems like in every one there is someone asking about the pay, schedules, or other things about a newbys life at SWA. I am an April 2003 hire, and can shed a little light on it, I think. Since the pool is going to start draining quickly, (according to a CP on my 7 month review), maybe it will help ya'll plan for the greatest job ever.
First of all, let me say this is the best job I have ever had. This is my 5th airline, so I have a fairly good perspective, (unless I had an incredibly unlucky streak leading up to here), either way, it is great, and worth treading water for.Do whatever you gotta do to get here, then trust me, you'll love it
First of all, the most imortant thing -- pay and schedules.
I bring home right at $1400 on the first check (on the 5th of the month) and around $2000-2500 on the 20th. The check on the 5th is a fixed amount, and varies among my classmates due to State income tax withholding, etc. The pay on the 20th is the same plus any extra flying you did in the previous month, per diem, etc. I don't fly very much extra, being a commuter. There are ways of making more, but you have willing to sacrifice quality of life, and be available in domicile to really work the system. I have little ones at home, so I have to be available at home certain times to give momma a break, and that precludes extra flying sometimes. I am probably about average, I know first year guys who make more, and some that work and make less. Second year pay is about double those amounts.
On reserve, the minimum days off is 15. The schedule or reserves is typically 3 blocks of 4 days, and a block of 3 days. You have to be available in domicile, and typically, I wind up flying every reserve day. This changes, according to staffing, and I am sure will change when the hiring starts... I have been told when the reserves don't fly much, more senior guys bid the reserve lines so they can stay home, but when the reserves are flying a lot, as they are now, the reserve lines go junior. Commuting on a reserve line is a hassle, but do-able. There are crash pads available, Chicago is the best, from what I hear. The last class hired in 03 is stuck in OAK, on Reserve, and they collectively rent a hotel room each month. I think it costs each guy around $200, but it has van service, etc. Oakland is the most JR, then Chicago, Phx, BWI.
The initial newhire class is great, as is every department I have been exposed to. We had guys have babies, get married, etc etc, and everyone here wants to help. The CP's are great at doing anything they can to help a newhire... That's just my opinion, but after 7 months, there has been nothing to disillusion me.
Last, this thing about the union, and holding up hiring till later in the year.. blah blah blah. I think you'll be here sooner than later. realize, there is not a single guy at Southwest, from the most senior, on down, that doesn't want more guys underneath him. There are factors, like lead time it takes to put a new guy on line (about 7 weeks for me), and the ability of the training dept. to train the numbers that are required next year (400+ over a year isn't bad, but try to cram them all in the last 6 months, and you are asking for problems) that they look at. Again, I think it'll start sooner, rather than later, but again, thats just IMHO. I look forward to ya'll getting here, and hope this post helps a little..... dad

Helpful information from LuckyDad

Thanks for the sharing your recent
experience and the insightful information.

:p SWA Guppy wanabe

I Just wanted to add to the post above. I was in the Jan Class and am now based in PHX but prefer to fly out of HOU because of where I live. I give everything away I can in PHX and pick up trips in HOU. So far this has worked very well. Last month I flew 81 trips for pay that was considered extra fly. I got paid second year pay for this. I was only able to do this because other F/O/s took what I gave away in PHX. the difference in mine and the post above is quite a bit. I got the same pay on the 5th of the month but receieved 4000.00 dollars on the 20th. Keep in mind that I also put 10% in the 401K and take out 100.00 dollars for Stock Purchase Program. I guess what I am trying to tell the poolies is that you can make alot more in the first year if you learn how to work the system.

bake

BEST POST EVER

After months of panning this cesspool of FLAMEBAIT, whines, promoes, and mud-slinging I finaly found a worth while nugget of gold.

Excellent info- factual, staightforward and to the point. Well done.

Question: Where do you commute to OAK from and how many days a month of the 15 do you actually spend at home and not commuting?

I live 4 hours from Dallas, 1.5 from Amarillo, and 2 from Oaklahoma City, so figure commuting to OAK will be a challenge.

great post, I will print it off to keep me motivated in the months and years to come.

Ever introduced to "Room 501" at HQ?... hehehe. Even with my flight time in it's infancy, I was lucky enough to be selected for a Flight Ops internship interview in Dallas. Unfortunately, I wasn't selected, but the atmosphere of the company is something that is truly special. I'm working my butt off to be a part of it one day!

More poop

Just a little more info...
I am Phoenix based, but live in Houston, just like Bake... but, because of my seniority, I don't quite have the flexibility. I hold a reserve line out of Phoenix, (where Bake holds a regular line) and reserve can't be broken up like a regular line of assigned trips. It's not easy to get rid of a block of 4 reserve days, no one wants them. I could (and do) pick up out of Houston, but those opportunities are limited also, because I fly on my reserve days, often I get close to the 30 in 7 rule. These are the differences just 3 classes make, and are really insignificant when there is a lot of newhires coming down the pipeline. I think there were 3 classes after mine, and my lifestyle is a lot better than the guys stuck in Oakland. To those that are on the fence about getting the type, if you are serious about working here, get the type ASAP. A few classes can make a big difference in pay, not because your rate pay is different, but because your opportunities to work the system and make more) are greater.
My own experience has been that 2 classes behind you will get you out of Oakland. I know BWI is set for big expansion, as is HOU with all the new gates. Next year is going to be a biggy, so most of my info will probably be obsolete, I'm just sticking it out here to help ya'll plan for the best job ever...
PS It's true, you'll never buy a beer while on probation...
As always... Dad

Latest resources

Back