• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Newby life at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Zymotic: I think the short answer to your question is yes, the guys who make closer to 60K are working extra trips. They are also dropping trips at first year pay to pick up trips at second year pay to further increase their pay, which seems like a no brainer if you can do it.

Hope I didn't mischaracterize anybody's repsonses.

FJ

Flash...

I am not sure what you are asking but...

Secon year pay is 63.53

Next september it goes to 70 and change.

One bummer about the system is that the pick ups at second year pay only count for probies. If you pick up anything after year 1 it is at straight pay.

After first year, the only way to make extra $'s per trip is to sigh up for JA or VJA. Junior Available and Voluntary JA. On these trips you get 1.5 TFP. The bummer is that you can't refuse these trip when called unless you let them go to voicemail. When you call back a VJA you can refuse the trip. If you call back a JA they got ya. It still is a really good deal.

Back to extra fly in your first year. If they call you for a three TFP turn you can refuse it no questions asked.

One extra note, when you are on reserve they cannot JA you!

Oak

What is "Pilot Aid?"

OakRbust

Its the other way around....You can call back the JA without obligation....VJA call back and your at schedulings mercy.

Just a small point...you only sign up for VJA. JA is for everyone if they catch you.

Dude:cool:

Thanks for the explanation. I have a question about second year pay for probies. Do you receive second year pay when you pick up trips others have dropped or just for MOT and DOT? What about for LITT and JA? I know VJA is time and a half which is less that second year pay.

Also, how risky is it if you hold a line to drop all of it if possible and pick up whatever time pays second year pay? Do you run the risk of losing your scheduled trips but not picking up time and ending up with very little flying or is that scenario somewhat rare?

Second year pay is for any trips picked up in monthly open time, daily open time, or extra fly. LITT and trip trade/give away pay normal first year rates. VJA and JA pay 1.5 first year rates which as you mentioned is less than second year pay.

As far as dropping your line to pick up second year trips, it depends. Unfortunately the easier it is to give away your trips the harder it is to pick up at second year pay (the reason people are more likely to take your trips is the lack of daily open time). This is especially true on reserve, as some folks might pick up a reserve trip hoping to not get called only if there's nothing in DOT. I've almost gotten myself in trouble when someone took a four day reserve block from me the night before it started because there was nothing in open time. I ended up being able to get some extra fly, but for a little while I thought my pay for the month was going to drop by 25%.

As long as you have a big enough block of time off and are willing to fly the entire weekend you should usually be able to find something to pick up. I opened up a three week hole in my schedule last month and picked up a four day and two three days over the weekends. The hardest part is giving away your trips.

T1

OK, i'm normally a reader and not a poster.
Also i'm going to catch hell from all the SWA folks:

Disclaimer: SWA is a great company and a great place to work.

I am in my second year at SWA and its not for me. The reasons people like this place are the same reasons i don't. I like flying big airplanes to international locations while eating lots of crew meals. I like longer trips and longer blocks of days off. I like to do stuff on lay overs besides pounding beers and flying 12 hours later.
I know a few people here that feel the same way as i do with various aviation backrounds. Once you expand your world it's hard to go back. I thought i would love it here, but i was wrong. I wish someone made me think twice about coming here. Before you come, ask yourself long and hard if you want to fly domestic 737s for the rest of your career. There is just a lack of adventure for me.

This is not a flame, just my view.
SWA is Great, don't get me wrong, it's just not for everyone!!!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back