Newbie Question about commuting while on Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
move....

Guys if you commute, say from ATL to ORD, and you're on reserve, how do they handle the call outs? I live about 1.5 hr drive from ATL and if I'm on reserve and based at ORD how does it work?

Move!

You guys have posted some piece of crap answers. If you're going to take the time to post an answer then you should at least try to be helpful. I knew there were some cocky, know-it-all, smart ass, childish, under-achieving, people who've paid their $10 on here...but I'd hoped that they wouldn't notice my question. What are the chances?

Well if you work for gojets and live 1.5 hours from Atlanta just to commute to ORD and sit on reserve. You are not going to like any of the answers people give you. If you plan on spending more then 5 days a month at home you need to move houses and if you want less stress over commutes you need to move companies.

You guys have posted some piece of crap answers. If you're going to take the time to post an answer then you should at least try to be helpful. I knew there were some cocky, know-it-all, smart ass, childish, under-achieving, people who've paid their $10 on here...but I'd hoped that they wouldn't notice my question. What are the chances?

Well, you asked a pretty basic question that you should have known the answer to BEFORE you accepted the job, or certainly while you were in "indoc" classes. This is why you got some pretty goofy answers...that and the fact that pretty much no airline is hiring right now and the fact that many are furloughing make your question seem all the more incrediable.

However, to give you the benefit of the doubt, the answer to your question is pretty basic.

You are responsible for having yourself in position in your domicile (ie your base) and available to be called out and report to the airport within the alloted time frame. SO if you are on-call reserve from say 4am until 6pm, then you must be in Chicago by 4am and be able to report to the airport/crew check-in facility with whatever your callout time frame is, say 90 mins or 2 hrs, etc.

It really is that simple. So if you live in ATL as was mentioned, it is ot unusual to have to commute to your base the day before and then commute home the day after your reserve days are over. SO you can see that easily two days each working period can easily be spent commuting to your home and back...hence all the comments...ie, if you have 10 days off per month, you will be lucky if you are home 5 FULL days off in a month.

Now, was that straight forward enough and clear enough?

Guys if you commute, say from ATL to ORD, and you're on reserve, how do they handle the call outs? I live about 1.5 hr drive from ATL and if I'm on reserve and based at ORD how does it work?

Did you check "yes" on the box that says "willing to re-locate?"
That should answer your question. Commuting to reserve sucks. Just move to ORD.

Latest resources

Back