Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VampyreGTX

NZ Herald 4/5/05
A New Zealand Post mail plane exploded over south Taranaki last night in a fireball, killing two crew members.

Farmers heard a huge bang then felt the ground shudder and smelled aviation fuel as the Metroliner aircraft en route from Auckland to Blenheim went down.

Emergency crews worked in heavy rain and wind to try to locate the courier aircraft in hill country 7km east of Stratford.

The New Plymouth fire service found the fuselage about 11.30pm.

Residents said some of the falling wreckage had hit a farmhouse.

Callers flooded 111 lines shortly after 10.20pm after hearing an explosion at the time as the Maritime Safety Authority reported a plane had disappeared off the Christchurch air traffic control radar.

NZ Post confirmed that the plane was one of its eight AirPost aircraft specially equipped to carry mail around the country.

Spokesman Ian Long said it was carrying a pilot and co-pilot but no other passengers. NZ Post would today begin investigating how the tragedy occurred and whether any of the mail was recoverable.

NZ Post expressed its condolences to the families of the crew.

After the crash police had appealed for residents to stay home to speed up the rescue efforts as farmers flooded into lanes and roads to look for the wreckage, which was spread over a considerable area.

Resident Craig Hicks had just got into bed on his parents' farm west of Toko when he heard "a hell of a noise".

"It was a quick, whining, sizzling noise as it shot through. I ran out and it was in the distance.

"I saw a whole lot of little explosions. As it went out across the farmland, the first bit of light was almost like a flare, crawling out of the sky. It was quite bright, and it fell slowly to the ground.

"It sounded like rapid fire gunshots going off in the distance. Then there was another bright light, but it wasn't falling, but then another piece fell, and the third bit was just sitting like a glowing light in the sky. And then it faded to black through the rain and the tree tops.

"It was a good 30 to 40 seconds of action before it faded."

Mr Hicks, 41, jumped into his car and headed towards Toko.

"There were cardboard boxes and plastic sheeting all around the district. There was this strong smell as I drove down the road, oil and fuel maybe."

Do I really want to climb into my Metroliner to make tonights freight run? Maybe I'll just walk home.

HazMat from hell

Sounds like some wicked hazmat to me.

There was once a Canadian Metro that experienced a wheel well fire. Long story short: Wing burned off as they approached the runway.

Some people really disagree with speculation on the causes of accidents before the report is complete, but I happen to think we can learn a lot from other situations in the meantime.

I'm sticking with my hazmat theory.

I thikn your hazmat theory is already shot. They say from the wreckage the fire originated on the wing, with scorce marks running along the entire side of the fuselage from the wing back. They also said there was not anything in the cargo that was considered hazardous or flamable.

Another wheel well fire?

Well crap.

Ok then.

The Canadian plane that burnt up was behind the 8 Ball from the start.

It's left brake was dragging on taxi out. The pilots talked about it before take off. The mechanics had also serviced the brakes with the wrong type of hydraulic fluid (lower flashpoint).

On take off the wheel overheated, ignited the brake fluid and then the pilots performed the emergency procedure incorrectly. The whole thing only took about 15 minutes, both died.

You can also get a wing overheat in the Metro from a bleed air leak or an overheated generator.

What phase of flight was it? Cruise?
I'm pretty stumped but if I had to choose, I'd go with an electrical problem (arcing).

I dunno. Sad story either way.

They could have thrown a blade too. That'll ruin your day. Who knows?

As far as haz goes, it may have been some type of unreported haz. Oh, but everyone reports their haz, so that couldn't be it...

Could have been a million things. Witnesses reported hearing "rapid fire gunshots". Hmmmm. Maybe an engine coming apart, throwing turbine blades? Can a person hear that? Maybe the sound was rapid compressor stalls.

The "whining, sizzling" noise description sure pegs it as a Metro (or MU-2 of course). That's eerie.

Latest resources

Back