• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New US Airways colors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that really the new livery or is it a one-off?

That is the new USAirways livery which will replace thte last debacle of a paint scheme. I do miss the bare metal days!!!!
This new one is a mix of USAirways patterns with America Wests design.

I wonder if they went from blue to white for economic reasons. A friend who used to work with the NYPD told me the reason they repainted all of the patrol cars from blue to white was to save money. White paint costs a lot less than blue. Although I don't see the frequent need for painting aircraft as often as patrol cars which are always being smashed up.

I miss the old bare metal too. (and the USAir moniker too!)

White is cheaper in terms of cost of repainting an aircraft.

In addition, another reason for chosing white was the heat of the southwest region of the country. White is a reflective color, as we all know, and will therefore keep the planes a bit cooler when on the ground in places like Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Whatever happened to the bare aluminum fuselage paired with the dark blue tail? I've seen a few 737's painted like that (or maybe it was just one or two that I kept seeing over and over?) and I kinda liked it. I can't remember for sure, but they might have had USAirways.com and something about a "no-brainer" as well. Not crazy about that part, but I liked the bare aluminum and the dark blue.

There were also a few DC9s that had the tail painted blue and US Airways decal put on the side as an interim paintjob before they got rid of them.

Stunning. That airplane will always be my favorite.

91 said:
Whatever happened to the bare aluminum fuselage paired with the dark blue tail? I've seen a few 737's painted like that (or maybe it was just one or two that I kept seeing over and over?) and I kinda liked it. I can't remember for sure, but they might have had USAirways.com and something about a "no-brainer" as well. Not crazy about that part, but I liked the bare aluminum and the dark blue.

That wasn't a planned thing. The paint shop forgot to put some sort of coating under the paint, so they had to make them bare metal to be able to check for corrosion or something like that.

Latest resources

Back