new to flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh oh. Here we go.

Surefly, since you're new here you're not exactly privvy to the running joke with PilotYip and the degree requirements for professional pilots.

He's right. You don't need a degree to have a satisfying career. That comes from your attitude.

But a lot of airlines do require the degree.

My advice, get the degree to get an education. Don't get the degree to get a job.

Good luck.

mar said:
Surefly, since you're new here you're not exactly privvy to the running joke with PilotYip and the degree requirements for professional pilots.

He's right. You don't need a degree to have a satisfying career. That comes from your attitude.

But a lot of airlines do require the degree.

My advice, get the degree to get an education. Don't get the degree to get a job.

Good luck.

word up! and yes, quite green here sir. :D

Hey surefly,

Welcome to aviation. Don't take this personal or as me being judgmental. I quickly checked out your blog and noticed your photo. You've got a bit of a punk rocker look to you, with the large hoop earrings and tatoos going down your arm. I just want to point something out though, in terms of making it to the airlines, etc. you may have to groom yourself towards a more conservative look. Arm length tatoos and hoops earrings are kind of frowned upon. Airlines tend to be conservative and worry what passengers might think if they see a guy who looks too radical. Maybe some of you can chime in on tatoos and employment prospects.

Aside from that, have you taken any lessons or an intro yet. Before you invest in a school thats going to take you from private to ATP, you should make sure this is something you're going to enjoy doing for a living. The pay will be pretty awful for years to come and some people find that after a while, flying isnt something they really enjoy. Also, get that 1st class medical upfront to make sure you have no disqualifiying conditions.

By all means go out there and try it. Studying the material will definitely give you an advantage before you start your training. And any questions you might have can be answered (or debated as is many times the case) right here at flightinfo. Make sure you have a game plan to complete all of your ratings one at a time. Don't run out of money and get stuck in the middle. This will end up costing you more in the long run.

There are basically two ways to get through training. Part 61 and 141. 141 is more structured and can get you finished much quicker. But 61 can be more of a learning experience and maybe more expensive. I did mine 61 nad found that I gained a more varied experiences.

Good luck and keep posting.

Last edited:
NYCPilot said:
Hey surefly,

Welcome to aviation. Don't take this personal or as me being judgmental. I quickly checked out your blog and noticed your photo. You've got a bit of a punk rocker look to you, with the large hoop earrings and tatoos going down your arm. I just want to point something out though, in terms of making it to the airlines, etc. you may have to groom yourself towards a more conservative look. Arm length tatoos and hoops earrings are kind of frowned upon. Airlines tend to be conservative and worry what passengers might think if they see a guy who looks too radical. Maybe some of you can chime in on tatoos and employment prospects.

Aside from that, have you taken any lessons or an intro yet. Before you invest in a school thats going to take you from private to ATP, you should make sure this is something you're going to enjoy doing for a living. The pay will be pretty awful for years to come and some people find that after a while, flying isnt something they really enjoy. Also, get that 1st class medical upfront to make sure you have no disqualifiying conditions.

By all means go out there and try it. Studying the material will definitely give you an advantage before you start your training. And any questions you might have can be answered (or debated as is many times the case) right here at flightinfo. Make sure you have a game plan to complete all of your ratings one at a time. Don't run out of money and get stuck in the middle. This will end up costing you more in the long run.

There are basically two ways to get through training. Part 61 and 141. 141 is more structured and can get you finished much quicker. But 61 can be more of a learning experience and maybe more expensive. I did mine 61 nad found that I gained a more varied experiences.

Good luck and keep posting.

thanks for the welcome and the info NYC! i've been asking a lot of questions and doing my research in addition to studying. in fact, i've done my research in the tattoo areas in another online forum i'm apart of ( here's the thread: http://jetcareers.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=323057&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 ). i've made sure not to do anything "too permanent" when it comes to the 'tattoo lifestyle' for this very reason like stretching my ears to a double 0 or get neck and hand tattoos. i realize i'll have to wear long sleeves at any job i go to, and there's nothing i can't cover up (i'm planning on wearing long sleeves during my training, because I want to be taken seriously by the school i choose and CFIs - not like some rock star who wants to fly planes). i consider myself a intelligent, dedicated, fast learner who wishes to become a competent and safe pilot - and i'm going to do what i have to so my reputation can stay that way and not be judged by the 'color of my skin' :)

surefly said:
thanks for the welcome and the info NYC! i've been asking a lot of questions and doing my research in addition to studying. in fact, i've done my research in the tattoo areas in another online forum i'm apart of ( here's the thread: http://jetcareers.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=323057&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 ). i've made sure not to do anything "too permanent" when it comes to the 'tattoo lifestyle' for this very reason like stretching my ears to a double 0 or get neck and hand tattoos. i realize i'll have to wear long sleeves at any job i go to, and there's nothing i can't cover up (i'm planning on wearing long sleeves during my training, because I want to be taken seriously by the school i choose and CFIs - not like some rock star who wants to fly planes). i consider myself a intelligent, dedicated, fast learner who wishes to become a competent and safe pilot - and i'm going to do what i have to so my reputation can stay that way and not be judged by the 'color of my skin' :)

Judging from your posts and blog, you do seem intelligent, articulate and well adjusted. Keep doing your research - knowledge is power.

By the way, a lot of us have "tatoos" or other interal scars that we carry with us in our life. This can be anything from DUI's, bankruptcies, failed checkrides, criminal records, poor attitudes, bad grades, training washouts, etc. All of which can be overcome.

NYCPilot said:
This can be anything from DUI's, bankruptcies, failed checkrides, criminal records, poor attitudes, bad grades, training washouts, etc. All of which can be overcome.

A failed checkride is so minor that it isn't even comparable to a DUI or a criminal record. But NYC is right, it all can be overcome.

-Goose

Ive flunked two rides. Does that really matter to employers? I had reasonable excuses for the failures and learned from them so I wouldn't think anyone would take it too badly.

I agree that having a failed checkride or two, isn't the end of the world. You may be asked whether you failed one during an interview but if you can be honest about it and explain how you learned from it, and moved on it will be a positive thing.

You learn best from mistakes.

I would start earning a 2 year degree asap. A 2 year degree is for the most part required for regionals and a lot of 135 operations. Once you are at that point in your life start working towards a 4 year degree because that is a requirement for the majors. I would get it as cheap as possible and in anything you want, it is just a box you check on an application. $50,000 is a good amount of money to get everything done, if done part 141 and fulltime I could see you spending no more than $35,000 on PPL-CFII/MEI. That may give you some money to live on for a while when your income wont cut it. As far as the tatts and piercings go, dont sweat it. I guaged my ears up to a 1/4" back in my band days and somehow convinced the military to take me as a pilot....Just bust a$$ and make interviewers look past the fact youre not just your basic tattooed schmuck. It is almost the same mentality as breaking out in music, get so good at what you do people have to pay attention to you. If you want it dont give up until youve got it. A plumber once told me anything the mind can conceive the body can achieve, that plumber drove a Viper and lived in a million dollar house with only a high school GED. Keep us updated....

Almerick07 said:
I would start earning a 2 year degree asap. A 2 year degree is for the most part required for regionals and a lot of 135 operations. Once you are at that point in your life start working towards a 4 year degree because that is a requirement for the majors. I would get it as cheap as possible and in anything you want, it is just a box you check on an application. $50,000 is a good amount of money to get everything done, if done part 141 and fulltime I could see you spending no more than $35,000 on PPL-CFII/MEI. That may give you some money to live on for a while when your income wont cut it. As far as the tatts and piercings go, dont sweat it. I guaged my ears up to a 1/4" back in my band days and somehow convinced the military to take me as a pilot....Just bust a$$ and make interviewers look past the fact youre not just your basic tattooed schmuck. It is almost the same mentality as breaking out in music, get so good at what you do people have to pay attention to you. If you want it dont give up until youve got it. A plumber once told me anything the mind can conceive the body can achieve, that plumber drove a Viper and lived in a million dollar house with only a high school GED. Keep us updated....

awesome! thank you for that post, Almerick
yah, when i want something bad enough that ignites my passion for life, I bust ass to get it - flying is definetly one of them. i will definetly keep you guys updated :)

Latest resources

Back