• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New SWA Pilot Contract?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Southwest is a low cost carrier. That's what makes them so successful. Pay across the board at SWA (starting with Herb) is a helluva lot less than the salaries of all the other respective positions at the big boys. That keeps the ticket prices down and keeping the profits coming in.

The heck with the "industry leading 37 rates." Take a resonable raise, cash that fat Profit Sharing check, and smile knowing that you work for the Industry Leading Airline.

174/ trip = 188,000/ year.

I am pretty sure I can live happy on that and call in rich at 50.

Then we can all hug and drink cool-aid at PT's house!!!

:D

That's just my opinion..... I could be wrong!!!

OakRBust,

I think you are right on. Too much money and everybody eles working at SWA want their share of the pie and you got yourself a new US Airways. Anyway, I'm sure you SWA guys know that and we will be right behind y'all.

/Citrus

Well....there's one thing wrong with the profit sharing situation. It's not part of the contract. It's a gift from management, to be given or taken away at any time.

I'm thankful for it, but I also count on it as part of my compensation. We need TFP rate increases + stock. Those items can be counted on , as cold hard income, as they would be in the contract.

Here's my guess, and I hope it comes true. Company offered 20%, SWAPA counters with 50%. We settle at 35% plus the stock.

That would make me very happy!

Sounds like UAL

Having come from an airline and a union that wanted to be the tops in the industry, and eventually got it, this thought that a huge bunch of money is going to make me happy does not cut it. I want to get paid fairly, but I want whatever company I work for to succeed beyond belief. Why hope for a 35% increase in pay and then stocks on top of that and then profit sharing (when it comes along) and lose the job security and other employee support by being a bunch of greedy pilots. I submitted an app and got hired at SWA because I wanted to work at SWA and was sick of UAL. Granted the money was great, but the contempt of the other employeed groups and their eventual copy-cat greed has driven me to, in essence, hate every day I had to be at work at UAL. I believe in getting paid an honest wage for my work, but not at the cost of driving my company into billion dollar losses. I know that poor management and a myriad of other reasons other than labor costs have hampered UAL, but the contempt for the pilot group by management is not something that I want to experience, especially at SWA. Anyway, I've got to take the kids to school so enough for now.

Slug

Raise? Yes

Don't take my last post entirely wrong. Do I think SWA Pilots need a raise? Yes, just not an exorbitant amount. Industry leading? No, but above industry average. Another point - stock options are nice and all, but they are not free to the company like some people think. It still costs money to issue stocks whether to the general public or employees. Profit sharing is nice too and it is a gift just like was mentioned above. Because of the good relationship that management has with all employee groups they still issue these profit checks on a regular basis. However, if the pilots and other employee groups demand large raises I can almost guarantee you these checks will go away; not because of a loss of profits, but because of a deteriorated relationship between the management and employees. Don't let this happen.

Slug

Last edited:
OAK,
After 4-6 years as an F/O you can upgrade to Captain at $118 a trip. Then do 11 more years and then you'll get $171 by the current offer.

Check this out

Flint4XX, I think you are incorrect.

If a pilot upgrades in the year 2006 you wil be paid at say 5th year capt. pay (if you have been at SWA for five years). Which is 160.29 per trip, and tops out at year 12 at 173.63.

I don't think you go to 1st year capt. pay if you have been at SWA for 5 years.

My 2 cents

Slug,

I'm no money grubber, but I would like a raise.(I know you didn't call me that).

However, if the company is OFFERING a 20% raise, do you think they can't afford it? And do you think they'd offer the most they could afford right out of the box? I don't think so.

The 35% raise I was speculating about was based on 1994 pay rates, which are today's pay rates with the 3% per year starting in 1999.

The 35% would not make us industry leading in regular compensation. Which is what the Union was talking about in their press realease. Combined with stock it MIGHT make us industry leading.

If we don't try for more than a 20% raise, what's the point of having a Union?

:D

I get your point

SWA Guy,

I understand your point. I don't know the numbers exactly so I will admit ignorance in the issues of exact pay. Just humor me though and look at my profile and where I came from: a company with some of the worst possible employee/management relations. I simply don't want SWA to go that way and at UAL the contract disputes is what drove it down that road a little ways. There were a lot of other factors but it didn't help. I'm here, on furlough, soaking in the hiring pool at SWA. Don't get me wrong I still want to work there, I just don't want to see a repeat of UAL. I said in Post deux that SWA needs a raise; I don't know how much but a large increase can't be good for the company....I'm not a mangagement boy either, just looking out for job security and in the end numero uno.

Slug
Hopefully junior to you soon

Jake, then who do you suppose would ever get step one captain pay? We don't hire off the street. I wish you were right but I know you aren't.

First year captain, $118. (more or less, don't have contract in front of me)

Latest resources

Back