• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
From the newswires on Monday:

The No. 6 U.S. airline also said it may add a new city to its network in 2004, which would be its first move into a new market since it started service to Norfolk, Virginia, a month after the September 2001 attacks.

I've been hearing ABE, CAE, GSO, GSP,...., and read somewhere last week where around 140 cities have been courting SWA for some service soon.

Any real clues on the top potential candidates? I know we beat this to death last year, but now it appears to be more of a reality after Monday's news.

Anybody hear'n anything?

Richmond, VA

My money (both pennies of it) is on RIC, for the simple reason that, way back when, Herb publicly stated something to the effect that "you're next" in almost so many words.

I haven't heard anything authoritative about what's next, but that's what I think will happen.

Just my opinion, worth almost everything that you paid for it. :D

Snoopy

What do you expect from a dog that thinks hes a WW1 flying ace..

Richmond was the mentioned next city for a long time..

That would be great for the folks that live around here..

Weve been getting shafted for years paying super jacked up rates..Most folks have been driving to ORF,RDU,or BWI to avoid the fares..

Rumor has it that the color of the carpet in the terminal is called Canyon Blue..

Another rumor is that the the gate areas are already set up and all you have to do is put up the signs and bring in the computers..

But..The best one ive heard is that the ground equipment is already there and its sitting in a hanger someplace on the airport..

But..Then again we have those gates in ANC..

:p

Does anybody know why Colorodo Springs isn't served by SWA? Too far to draw the Denver traffic? Some other reason?

VA maybe for lovers, but there ain't nothing finer than to be in Carolina... ;)

Congrats to the folks in RIC if it's next...I'm just hoping CAE or GSP makes it by 2005.

Yahtz

P.S. Mike, which was the last city SWA added?

ORF

A few years ago when I was flying to CAE every night for a year thier local news reported they were courting SWA. I know RIC would be a good fit especially for those poor souls having to drive to BWI or ORF from that area with that unpredictable traffic. But I think CAE would be a great fit to absorb the ATL traffic as well as the CLT traffic from US airways. When I flew for Midway Airlines, we always had people riding on us that would take the extra drive time to RDU to save a few extra bucks. CAE would be a plus with it being a hour from CLT and the growing MYR, CHS, GSP areas. It would be a great fit in either case IMHO.
jimbeam

Pennsylvania?

My wife is from the Pittsburgh area, and we have seen much local news there about the Allegany Airport Authority wooing SWA. Of course, this is just one of many cities doing the same, and the last I read, Southwest likely wouldn't consider PIT as long as USAirways was there. Still, the PIT "powers that be" are reporting that they supposedly have an airline lined up to move in if USAir moves out. JetBlue?

I'm sure some of the more knowledgable Southwest posters here can verify that there was a Pennsylvania city near the top of the list for "next city". Wasn't it in eastern PA, like Allentown?

Latest resources

Back