• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Stoploss Message

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How does this DOS process work these days. Can you no longer request DOS 6 months prior? Is it straight to the DOS waiver request at 6 months prior? How about people overseas with a DEROS? I know--I need to call AFPC Stop-Loss info people probably.

Mil-BushPilot

Deros/DOS

I am in the DEROS/DOS situation -- here's the way that I understand it... not gospel, but info from my CC and AFPC.

1. If I want to set a DOS, I can do it at any time (6 mo rule applies)
2. If I want to wait and 7 day opt my assignment, I set my DOS at that time (4 mo rule applies).
3. If I get to my DOS and stop loss hasn't sorted itself out or I haven't been approved a waiver, my commander can involuntarily extend my DEROS up to 180 days (and subsequently my DOS) or I can be sent to the base closest to my home of record (or the base of my choice) and be sent TDY (from there) indefinately until stop loss is done - yikes! or I can apply to get same/similar assignment as the one that I 7 day opted (or a Predator).

All that being said, it doesn't look good for getting out right now. If your CC is not sympathetic, you have no chance; but, the guys that I know of who have been successful did have at least a letter of intent from a AFRES/ANG unit.

Working in my favor for a waiver approval -- I am a must move (DEROS) and my replacement is already programmed, etc., and I am in an aircraft that is not mission critical to the war effort.

Good Luck...

(I wonder if a letter of intent from FedEx will help my waiver request?)

The 82% is indeed a crock. Guess why? Reservists submitting stop-loss waivers to come back to active duty are included in that 82%! At least that's what I was told by our Wing exec.

I'm stuck here in beautiful northern MS, waiting to start with Exec Jet Intl, in a unit 120% over-manned because we're "under-manned." I was warned not to submit a waiver because if my argument is that I'm not needed here because of the over-manning, then maybe I'd be sent back to the C-5, where pilots ARE needed. Of course, it kinda made me wonder how desperate the C-5 need is, since we just got two C-5 pilots into our 120% manned squadron! The logic of our idiotic commanders baffles me.

Of course, I could get a Reserve command post job somewhere, and since I'll be part of the "Total Force," my waiver would likely be approved. I'd be real useful then. ARGH! Sorry; I'm pissed...

Just curious -- are any of the guys getting denied a waiver after being approved by the wing commander? My waiver was signed off by the group/CC (we don't have a wing here in Army-land) and now I'm being told to wait 4-6 WEEKS for ACC to approve/deny. It's not like I've got a life to get on with or anything. :mad:

Z

Z,

Your question assumes we were able to get our waivers off-base. We have had them sent back time and again for so many pencil-necked, common sense deprived, nit-noid, administrative holding reasons that none of them have even made it off the base. If they ever do, then maybe I'll know how to answer your question.

RMI,
What are they being sent back for? -- the Stop Loss message specifically states that waiver requests MUST be forwarded regardless of whether the leadership concurrs or not.
If they're dragging their feet with administrative queep then you may have grounds for an IG and/or Congressional inquiry.

Z

Well, let's see. Needs to be on Air Force letter-head, want a cover letter to detail and outline the reasons for wanting to get out, cover letter needs to be on AF letter-head, want waiver request and cover letter to be reviewed by ops group commander before it goes to wing, want letter and waiver request to be reviewed by deputy ops group commander before being seen by ops group commander, need to re-write cover letter to indicate routing (X2), need to change "reviewed" to "approved/disapproved" by signature blocks, second page of cover letter (created to indicate routing) shouldn't have AF letter-head on it, etc..........and the beatings will continue until you give up. The list is incomplete since nothing has actually made it off base yet.

Oh, yeah and the letter has to be held for a couple of days to a week each time before it is returned for "correction".

RMI,

Where are you stationed? That does reek of a potential IG problem.

Keep the faith and good luck. Its already on the boards, but if you can find someone to "pull" like an ANG or Res unit, you will have a much better chance. Zulu knows of some non-flying type jobs...maybe he can help you.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Albie

Albie,

What did your guard unit do to 'pull' in the waiver process. I just put in a waiver letter, and my future guard unit is interested in helping me out, but not sure what exactly to do.

RMI,
My SQ/CC signed my waiver letter and it is going via admin routing to the OG/CC and then to the WG/CC then ACC- no cover letter (the waiver letter says everything a cover letter would say anyway). I just did this last week so it hasn't made it off base yet, but I don't anticipate nearly the hastle you are encountering- Hopefully.

Finster

Latest resources

Back