New Stoploss Message

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Finster,

My situation was unique in that I was not leaving the base, or even the squadron....I was simply joining the ANG as an imbedded IP in an FTU. This is obviously different than many of the requests going on.

That disclaimer aside...here's my "free" advice..likely worth what you paid...

Your wiaver letter makes ZERO reference to your civilian opportunities. Nobody cares. People are trying to kill us right now. You show how joining your respective Guard/Reserve unit helps support operations Noble Eagle/Enduring Freedom. Emphasize you are available for recall to active duty and will continue to be current and qualified in your aircraft, ready to support the national defense as required.

Have your gaining Ops Grp CC call you losing OG. The "sell" is simply something along the lines of "I know you hate to lose him, but we could use a guy with his talents. He'll be serving the country for XX more years if you let him come to us." Your OG will likely pass these words on up to your Wing CC, the first wicket of your request. MAJCOM manning is an animal that I have no clue how to manage.

Look for a guard/ANG unit that needs help. Groups doing the CONUS caps and manning CPs are tight on bodies right now. Joining those units with a high ops tempo might aid your cause.

Finally--don't be a dirtbag. Its hard to be upbeat and positive when someone else has your life in their hands, but I am convinced a positive and selfless attitude are critical to success. You need to show the active duty leadership that you will be an asset to the NATION for a while if you leave. If you send off the "see ya jerks.....I'm out'a here" vibes you may have more friction. In my case, the Wing CC will see me regularly around our base--he knows I can be mobilized full time with one phone call if required. It also didn't hurt that I'd been "rushing" the ANG for 2 years...well before 11 Sep. I always planned on being part of the total force if it worked out...and I got VERY lucky. I hope you are as fortunate. In any case--I don't mean to sound trite--I appreciate the job all you guys stuck on active duty are doing. These jobs will still be here for you when you get released...try not to get ulcers in the meantime. I'll save my 727 FE notes for all you guys who end up at Fedex, and I'm sure my buddies at JetBlue will have similar gouge for you on the A320. Your turn WILL come eventually.

Keep the faith...and try to smile.

Albie

I agree we need to stay positive. Times have changed since 9/11 and for the first time in my 22 years of service, I feel like our country is looking to us to solve a serious problem. I pray we are successful.

Having said that, I share the frustration of all on this board. I too have submitted a waiver only to see it sit on the WG/CC desk for one month because he doesn't agree with the format. His misunderstanding of what can be included in the waiver delays the process. The future of my waiver is very much in question. No telling when it will leave this base. Misinterpretation of the process appears common.

My biggest concern with stop loss is how it affects your daily life. There isn't a day go by that someone in the squadron, group, or wing doesn't ask if I've heard anything new. It's a daily roller coaster ride as I share what little I've heard and then listen to the numerous rumors which only further discourages me. It's hard to stay positive when so many well intentioned people remind you that your life is on hold.

But regardless of the frustration, I remind myself daily that I still have a job. My family is happy, healthy, and alive. And the future is still out there. My current life is full of questions, but I'm convinced it's much better than it could be. So while I vent and fume, claiming POW status of my own country, I thank my lucky stars that I still have a home to go to at the end of each day where my wife and kids love me. And I have faith a great company out there waiting on me will hold that job until my country is through with me. If I can keep this perspective in mind each day, I make it to the end of another wild ride and sleep well.

Keep the faith my fellow aviators. Remember, you have the greatest job on earth. You FLY! :)

Albie,

Thanks for the words. I am still smiling! Being stuck flying the Strike Eagle isn't exactly a hardship, and if we had a E-model Guard FTU slot I would stay in the same squadron and do that in a heartbeat.

In my letter I basically did what you said- in reality the only reason I want the waiver is so I can get an FTU date to transition to a new (older) fighter in the guard. I don't even have any civilian offers yet, so I didn't mention any of those. I tried to stress how the AF would benefit by having me join an undermanned ops unit vice staying in a fully manned training unit.

Now I just wait and see....

For anyone looking for guard jobs there is a list of postings at http://www.baseops.net/newjob.html This isn't how I got my job, but it seems to have some good info for varoius units who are looking for pilots.

Finster

Latest resources

Back