• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New SkyWest Pay Package Riding Coattails of ASA/XJT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I trust, then, that ASA nor Xjet nor combination thereof will have ANY contract or negotiating reference to staying on par with SKW on ANYTHING.

I trust, then, that ASA nor Xjet nor combination thereof will have ANY contract or negotiating reference to staying on par with SKW on ANYTHING.

In the past, I will concede, ASA has used some of SkyWest's work rules. The Company has created this, however. The 2 Company's practically mirror each other with small exceptions (dual qual for example). But for the most part, SkyWest mgmt waits until ASA has a Contract, then gives SkyWest pilots about 1/4 to 1/2% on top of whatever ASA negotiates. I'm not pointing fingers here sir, just pointing out facts. Would love for your pilot group to join us rather than being a whipsaw agent of SkyWest Inc.

Nevets,

A never ending argument. You simply drink a different flavor of kool-aide.

SAPA didn't "invent" the program but was in the room at the table when it was presented and was able to insure some last minute changes to the program which were highly beneficial to the pilot group when the program started. So, yes, SAPA had a significant impact on the final version of the program as did other employee groups.

The fact that the programs are not equal speaks volumes about the failure of negotiations in the last ASA contract negotiations. ASA pilots negotiating the contract settled for less and should not have but that is water under the bridge. We didn't work against you in that regard. You worked against yourselves by agreeing to less than we had at the time. Not our fault. That was your fault. We set the bar on performance rewards. Your negotiations just came in under the bar. That's all on that point. You rode our coat tails on that program but lost your grip before you got to our level and failed to "raise the bar." Sorry, but that is a fact.

We actually did do something and ASA failed to equal what we did. The ASA negotiations fell short. Look at the differences in the program. Let me know where I'm wrong.

The pay rates in ASA's last contract came up to the level of SKYW's pay rates. ASA rode SKYW's coat tails on that one. Take a look. Let me know where I'm wrong on that one too.

Everybody drinks kool-aide, Nevets. Some drink the same flavor you do. Some don't.

Fact is that this pay proposal doesn't help ASA/XJT negotiations. The fact is that JA keeps you guys separate for a reason and it's not to help either of us get better work rules and pay. You really want to help? Start by unionizing. Then you will have a real seat at the table with some bargaining chips to play with. Until then, you are just a tool used by JA against us.

This JA dude sounds like one smart cookie!

When has a pilot group ever voted in a Union when they were happy with how things are?

Sounds like the majority of SkyWest Pilots are pretty happy with their situation.

I'd say the real concern for the ASA side of the house, should be if ASA starts stagnating or even shrinking, while SkyWest is growing.

Have the ASA guys filed a Single Carrier petition with the Gov't yet. If not, better get on that one.

The other big issue is Seniority. How many SkyWest Pilots do you think are going to possibly get in bed with the ASA group voluntarily, when it might then lead to a seniority integration that could seriously hurt the career expectations of the average SkyWest Pilot?

I certainly can understand why the ASA group wants the SkyWest group to jump on board with them. They are scared they may be shrunk, while SkyWest grows. And that seems to be a reasonable fear.

But why in the heck would the SkyWest Pilots vote to hurt themselves?

Sounds like JA is going to have to really screw the SkyWest Pilots in order for the ASA Pilots to win the SW Pilot's hearts and minds. Giving just a bit over ASA contract doesn't sound like JA is going to help the ASA Pilot's cause, valid or not.

Again, sounds like this JA guy is a pretty smart dude.

Comments.....

Last edited:
When has a pilot group ever voted in a Union when they were happy with how things are?

Sounds like the majority of SkyWest Pilots are pretty happy with their situation.

I'd say the real concern for the ASA side of the house, should be if ASA starts stagnating or even shrinking, while SkyWest is growing.

Have the ASA guys filed a Single Carrier petition with the Gov't yet. If not, better get on that one.

The other big issue is Seniority. How many SkyWest Pilots do you think are going to possibly get in bed with the ASA group voluntarily, when it might then lead to a seniority integration that could seriously hurt the career expectations of the average SkyWest Pilot?

I certainly can understand why the ASA group wants the SkyWest group to jump on board with them. They are scared they may be shrunk, while SkyWest grows. And that seems to be a reasonable fear.

But why in the heck would the SkyWest Pilots vote to hurt themselves?

Sounds like JA is going to have to really screw the SkyWest Pilots in order for the ASA Pilots to win the SW Pilot's hearts and minds. Giving just a bit over ASA contract doesn't sound like JA is going to help the ASA Pilot's cause, valid or not.

Again, sounds like this JA guy is a pretty smart dude.

Comments.....

The thing is that it's not just about a contract, as you pointed out a couple issues why. But some are too shortsighted to see that. And yes, JA is a smart dude. Smarter than the pilots at least which is all that matters in his line of work.

I voted against the first proposal partly because I didn't want to undermine ASA/Xjet in their negotiations, you can call that riding their coat tails or simply not pulling the rug out from under them. We'll see how things turn out in the end. I personally would rather be negotiating with Klen than Brad. Brad is tough, but in the end, Jerry determines how big the pie will be and all we are negotiating for is how it will be sliced.

Round two, the Jet Captains gave a little, the FO's got a little more. All in all pretty much a wash for the company, though they say the net is about $3 million more. If you are expecting a big pay raise you will no doubt be disappointed. Their goal is a vote of 50.5 to 49.5, Brad is a master of finding that line. It will be interesting to compare the results.

How are negotiations going and when is a joint CBA expected?

I voted against the first proposal partly because I didn't want to undermine ASA/Xjet in their negotiations, you can call that riding their coat tails or simply not pulling the rug out from under them. We'll see how things turn out in the end. I personally would rather be negotiating with Klen than Brad. Brad is tough, but in the end, Jerry determines how big the pie will be and all we are negotiating for is how it will be sliced.

Round two, the Jet Captains gave a little, the FO's got a little more. All in all pretty much a wash for the company, though they say the net is about $3 million more. If you are expecting a big pay raise you will no doubt be disappointed. Their goal is a vote of 50.5 to 49.5, Brad is a master of finding that line. It will be interesting to compare the results.

How are negotiations going and when is a joint CBA expected?

Big pay raise? Hmmm min 12% I guess we will see

Latest resources

Back