Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Driven

No Plane No Gain
I am looking for a flight school somewhere anywhere from Palm Beach to Miami that has a newer Seminole to rent. Something newer than 1999 with all of the updated panel and whatnot. I have tried numerous searches and I have found nothing. A name/number/website, whatever would be excellent.

Thanks for the help.

-Brendan

I just like the layout of the newer ones. And there used to be 1 in Tamiami, but the owner sold it. It was also only $10 more an hour, which is not bad considering the equipment.

Anybody out there know of one PLEASE?

Driven said:
I just like the layout of the newer ones. And there used to be 1 in Tamiami, but the owner sold it. It was also only $10 more an hour, which is not bad considering the equipment.

Anybody out there know of one PLEASE?

Hi Driven,

I have to ask...what difference does it make? I mean, it goes in the same column in your log book right?

The only reason I could see is if you were prepping for a checkride, and you wanted to stick with what you know.

New Seminoles are going for north of $400k....you aren't going to see many on the flight line at the local FBO, and leaseback is a fool's game. Sounds like other owner figured that out.

Have you tried a Beech Duchess? They have a really nice cockpit layout, and they might be more readily found that a new PA-44.

Nu

It is just a preference thing, if you know what I mean. I dont mind renting the old ones and I am checked out and take them flying several times.

As I said it is a preference thing, if there was one around I would much rather take the new one vs. the old one, but I guess I will stick with what I have for the moment, unless someone else knows something I dont or cannot find.

Heyas Driven,

Yah, I know what you mean...

It's been a tough rental market in SoFL for years now.

There used to be a couple of real nice places with top drawer birds back in the early 90's. CavAir at FXE was known for high quality birds...at one time they had 20 airplanes on the flightline, including 6 of the nicest, cleanest 152s I had ever seen.

Nowadays it's just mon'n'pops with a couple of birds. There's no one high quality operation, which considering the demographics of SoFl, seems odd. Guess it's more of a "owner" town than a "renter" town.

Good luck with the seach. If you find one, let me know...

Nu

What do ya mean new?

They been making new airplanes since the sixties.

Any update on this, anyone leasing back new seminoles to flight schools for rental. Or anybody who would like to rent a seminole please PM to talk about this.

Driven

Heyas Drivin,

That's a tough nut. New PA-44s are spendy...too spendy for the regular guy to buy and put on leaseback. For the same cash, you can get a Columbia or Cirrus, appeal to a much wider rental crowd and have less overhead. You can get away with restricting those birds to "rental only, no training", whereas the 'nole will be ALL training, with the resultant wear and tear.

The number of PA-44s is dwindling overall. Through hard training usage, many are reaching their life limits (14,000 hours on the spar, I think), and they simply aren't being replaced in the same numbers. The relatively few nice PA-44s (and -44Ts, Cougars and BE-76s) are almost all privately owned and are jealously guarded, command insane resale prices, and would never be caught within 100 meters of a rental line.

I'm sure they're out there, but SOFL is a tough rental market...Broward especially.

Nu

Latest resources

Back