• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New RJ Nickname

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now before somebody replies with some kind of Lighten up Francis comment, guys that know me know that I am one of the most sarcastic and twisted sense of humor type guys out there... but to try to come up with some cutsey euphamism does nothing but to continue to undermine and belittle the professionals who fly them, and to emphasize the divisions in this industry that airline managements have so effectively created.

A ramp controller in IAH told me one day to follow the "regional jet." I asked him, "Regional jet? You mean the 757 going to San Antonio or the Embraer going to Toronto?" Regional jet is a marketing phrase designed to pay pilots less money for the same job... so how about calling them Embraers and Canadairs?

It is all semantics baby! It is called a Regional Jet, and I fly a "Regional" for one very simple reason. It's name, given by the manufacturer is... the Canadair "Regional" Jet. It is like the "Sports Utility Vehicle." Just becuase you never take it out in the rain (ie. use it differently than the manufacturer originally intended) doesn't mean you stop calling it an SUV.

I love the "practice jet" nickname. What did you fly before you presumably moved on to "big jets?" If it wasn't a fighter or tanker (sorry Tweet training or military King Air doesn't count) than it was an RJ, Dash 8, Saab, or back in the day a Navajo, etc.

If you had a more rounded aviation background you would see that pilots are pilots and airplanes are airplanes. You sound like a passenger with the whole "this airplane is so tiny."

agonyairfo said:
It is all semantics baby! It is called a Regional Jet, and I fly a "Regional" for one very simple reason. It's name, given by the manufacturer is... the Canadair "Regional" Jet. It is like the "Sports Utility Vehicle." Just becuase you never take it out in the rain (ie. use it differently than the manufacturer originally intended) doesn't mean you stop calling it an SUV.

I love the "practice jet" nickname. What did you fly before you presumably moved on to "big jets?" If it wasn't a fighter or tanker (sorry Tweet training or military King Air doesn't count) than it was an RJ, Dash 8, Saab, or back in the day a Navajo, etc.

If you had a more rounded aviation background you would see that pilots are pilots and airplanes are airplanes. You sound like a passenger with the whole "this airplane is so tiny."

How about "RJ." The passengers that fly on them don't really care...

I was discussing the industry with a furloughed bud of mine and a hypothetical situation came up. He belives that many pilots would choose to fly an RJ for lower pay than a turboprop with higher pay. Therefore, the new nickname would be "Vanity Wagon."

MD 20/20 - Comes in different colors and are cheap to buy

WSCoD

ALPA Stealthliner....so steatlthy not even the union knows they are there....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back