• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Pilots and Airsickness

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly early when it's smooth and cool outside.

I blew lunch all over after spin training. Eating Taco Johns until I waddled right beforehand may have been a bad idea in retrospect.

Don't eat anything for at least 12 hours before your flight, and make sure to drink plently of water. Don't take any kind of drug, it is illegal to fly under the influence, even of OTC medication.

Last edited:
I can understand Dramamine not being allowed, but are herbal remedies like Ginger pills allowed?

Don't eat anything for at least 12 hours before your flight, and make sure to drink plently of water.
I believe thats a big no-no as well. I always feel a helluva lot worse if I dont eat before a flight. I think it even says in the Jepp 141 private pilot book to always eat something along with well rest. whats the Acronym, IMSAFE? i believe.

[font=&quot]I wouldn't worry about Dramamine or the ginger pills. Give them a try and see if they work. As for eating or not before a flight that is something that you are going to have to experiment with. I know guys who can't eat at all before a flight where as myself, I need to have had something to eat in the last couple hours. I would feel not sick, but just kind of blah if I hadn't had anything to eat. Especially if a student was flying a little funky. Think about what the circumstances were last time you got sick in a plane. Just one thing I have noticed is that if someone is going to get sick it is after a 360-degree turn.[/font]

spartan you say? :D

Nice place, just very expensive. They raise the rental rates every 6 months. Just last month they upped everything by 15$. C152 is now 130 and a C172 is 150. :(

Btw, please try not to puke into the aircraft i'm going to fly next :) Also, try not to urinate in one (true story: i returned an aircraft last month 'cause it smelled like someone just took a piss in it :D ) Must of been one of those chinese guys that run around at spartan :/

Anyhow, enjoy your stay :cool:

$130 for a C152?!?! :eek:

Please tell me cessna made a twin engine 152 that no one's ever told me about.

Is that price with or without an instructor?

Airsickness

You'll be fine, and without drugs. Just watch what you eat before flying. Also, if you feel that an attack is coming on, open the vent for cool air. Also, surprisingly, if you are doing the flying a sudden onset of airsickness can disappear.

A lot of airsickness for new students comes from the shaking of turbulent air. One gets over it with time and getting used to flying. I was training one of my very first solo students during an August in Oklahoma City. The air was bumpy because of low-level convection. During each flight my student got sick and we had to cut short his flights. We were on a schedule and I was worried he wouldn't make it. I turned to a more-experienced instructor for advice. He told me to keep working with the kid because as long as the student was flying the airplane he wouldn't get sick. He had completed all of his pre-solo training, so I got him out in the pattern for some touch-and-goes in the evening before the sun went down. As soon as he was landing safely consistently, I soloed him. He did fine - and did not get airsick.

I recall reading in Chuck Yeager's biography that he got airsick during his first few flights. Look at the flying career he went on to have and, I would say again, you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
Yeah the prices are amazingly outrageous. Im hoping to win the lottery between now and September 21st.

Glad theres somone going to Spartan here. And don't worry, I have good aim at both ends. If you could go ahead and give me the N # of the Pee Plane, that would be helpful in avoiding it :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back