• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Pilots and Airsickness

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
@khirsah - price with instructor... and without :) - before this month, it not only was cheaper by $15, solo was an additional $20 cheaper. Now they eliminated that too. :(

It is a 141 school with great maintained planes, but i do wonder where all that money goes. :/ I suspect the recent price increase was due to the fact that were getting some 30 new planes this year. Almost doubling the fleet - I guess someone has to pay for it :(

@Pugh - Even though the smell was horrible, the maintence guys tried to explain it with regular water. They said the water/rain on the old interior caused the smell. Maybe, but it still stunk like piss in that machine :)

Although I've never done this, I've heard it works wonders. Since I taught Tweets for a few years, I ran across several folks who had a little difficulty with Acro... and the hot, loud, uncomfortable, vibrating twin jet with off-axis seating.

Anyway... you know those merry-go-round things you find on children's playgrounds? They're round, they rotate on a center post, and they usually have several handles that rise vertically from the perimeter, and then turn diagonally down towards the center. Kids hang on the handles, run in circles, and then hop on. If you move towards the center, the whole thing spins faster, as you move towards the outside it slows down (conservation of angular momentum, for you physics types).

What you want to do is lie down on one of those on your back with your feet towards the center, and your head near the outer edge. Hook your legs or feet around one of the handles so you won't be thrown off, and have your buddy spin you around. Look up at the sky - - yepp, it'll make you dizzy. Keep your eyes open and start doing situps as you spin around. As you change the orientation of your semi-circular canals and accelrate/decelerate the spinning, your inner ear will go nuts, and your stomach won't know what hit it. Spin and do situps until you puke. Then do it some more... until you puke... then do it some more... until you don't puke. Go home, eat dinner, lather, rinse, and repeat.

If you can get your stomach and inner ear used to that sort of manipulation, a little training ride in bumpy air should be a piece of cake.

TonyC, that sounds hidious! I want to puke just thinking about it.

To the origonal poster, Go to your local marine supply store and get "Sea Band" They are an accupressure device you wear on your wrists. Work wonders I've had passengers use them with great results. Also, my father used them to fight the nausea involved with Chemo. If you can't find them locally, I think they are available on the Sporty's website.

A Passenger said:
Don't eat anything for at least 12 hours before your flight,

I disagree with this one. That is what used to make me feel sick. Eat something lite, like some crackers or something. It will help stabilize your gastric fluids in your stomach. You know, give them something to work on while you fly instead of tasting them.

Another thing that works wonders is the Relief Band. I've got one that I keep for passengers. I used it for the first few flights in the Bag while flying the Apache. Really works, and is worth the money. Once you get used to it, you won't need it anymore and you can sell it on Ebay.

Thanks for all the advice...I'll take it all to heart. Except maybe Tony's...thats a little too crazy for me :)

No matter what....now listen up....DO NOT THINK ABOUT NOT THROWING UP WHILE YOU ARE FLYING!!!!!!:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back