• Start date
  • Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dal72, only 5 of the 177 airlines presently hiring make the college degree a showstopper. Great airlines like JB, CAL, and SWA do not let the absence of a degree stand in the way of hiring the right guy. Most pilots being hired have degrees because most pilots applying have degrees. I do not believe anyone has stats on the ratio of non-degreed applicants to non-degreed hires.

A degree is always a nice thing to have, especially when the airlines slow hiring. Hmmm should we hire john doe with a college degree or joe doe with no degree, if you end up never using it it still makes nice resume lettuce. Not to mention there can never be enough emphasis on a back up plan, because sometimes things just dont work out.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I didn't think I would get this many.

One thing I've seen is that some people don't seem happy flying. I know things have been tough in aviation for the last few years, but you get to fly! That to me is just the coolest thing in the world, and I'd do it for free. Surely if you are making a living doing it you should be happy and grateful? People out there would kill for such a great oppurtunity!

As for the degree, thats something I've decided is probably a must if I don't want to do a nobody job in a prop plane for the rest of my life. I have looked into Embry Riddle. Would it be possible to go there and flight train at Delta Airline Academy at the same time? The way I see it, I could have the degree and the airline connection at the same time. That would seem like a win win situation to me.

Edited

dream2fly2007 said:
That to me is just the coolest thing in the world, and I'd do it for free. Surely if you are making a living doing it you should be happy and grateful? People out there would kill for such a great oppurtunity!

airline connection at the same time. That would seem like a win win situation to me.

Hey guy, I know what your thinking, but don't cheat yourself. I'm 34 years old, and had thought about a career change, but after being on these boards for a couple years, I've realized that I can't take that kind of a hit on pay. I'm a chemist for Uncle Sam, and 20K for a couple years is crazy! I will still get ratings through CFI for the experience, and hopefully enjoy teaching as a side job. I WILL own a little plane one of these days, and be quite happy putting around in it.

Not trying to discourage a dream, but please go back and read what 414 flyer said. One of the most shockingly true statements I have ever read on this board. Take a look at the state of the economy, your economic resources, the "criminal" acts that professional pilots have to deal with, and weigh your options. For me, it didn't end up in the black. I will apologize in advance to the professionals 10 years in advance for having to share airspace with me in my shiny, bright red RV-6. :D

dream2fly2007 said:
the coolest thing in the world, and I'd do it for free.

Noooo!!!!! That's exactly the mentality we're all trying to discourage! PLEASE dont say that!!! It's a job, not a hobby!!!! You need to read a little, kid, before you start jumping into flight training with your check in hand! This industry is going down the toilet, and, no offense, it's due to your type of mentality!!! It's not cool!! It's not neat-o!!! It's our livelihood!!! Mature a little, go fly a C152 around the patch a few times, spin a stall, bounce a landing or two, sweat to earn a few buck for a flight lesson!!! Then come back and chat! Anyone can get a few hours at a pilot academy with a CFI in the other seat, but it's NOT experience!!!

I have looked into Embry Riddle. Would it be possible to go there and flight train at Delta Airline Academy at the same time?

Oh my god, thought I heard it all.

Stay away from the Flying magazines and stuff. Youre going to go from glossy advertisement syndrome to much worse. If you are decided on a college degree get a degree in something youre interested in outside of aviation. While enjoying the best 4 years of your life take flight lessons at an FBO near by and maybe even flight instruct while still in school. Once you meet 135 mins (1200TT...and some other stuff) get your real experience flying freight. Fly 135 cargo for a couple of years until you can get on with a strong regional or corporate of some sort. You are falling into the trap that is KILLING our profession and making our attitudes sour. When youre paying back $35,000+ in loans youre going to wish you were making more than slave labor flying people around.....PM me on what region youre in and maybe I can help you find something since I just made this decision not too long ago as well.

Usually, we just watch you people go at it and try to figure out who is who at your job interviews. However, we wanted to welcome you to the industry, Dream2fly2007, and let you know that you seem to have just the right attitude and desire to become a professional pilot. When the time comes for you to begin your career, please send us a resume. Until then, good luck with your training at Delta Connection Academy.

CHQ Jobs

hoop said:
Not trying to discourage a dream, but please go back and read what 414 flyer said. One of the most shockingly true statements I have ever read on this board. Take a look at the state of the economy, your economic resources, the "criminal" acts that professional pilots have to deal with, and weigh your options. For me, it didn't end up in the black.

Agree 100%. On the other hand, however, I did the same analysis and considering my job prospects in the local area and the money I spent (rather didn't spend) on flight training, flying for a living appears to be an extremely viable option. I just have to be choosy as far as who I will work for.

-Goose

Last edited:
Put it this way... Most of the people that will interview you for QUALITY jobs in aviation have degrees and in the end, most interviewers want to select people like them, that means having a degree. Sure, you can fly w/out a degree, but why limit yourself to only the bottom end of flying jobs.
Consider in some of the best flying jobs, the vast majority of your clients have degrees. It's a lot about shared experience, and people that have four year degrees share something. They feel better connected to you from the get-go. Don't handicap yourself later in life because you were in a hurry to fly, especially if you want a great flying job. And believe me, not all flying jobs are great. Spend the day fighting old equipment, shotty maintenance, low pay & incompetent leadership and the novelty of leaving the ground wears thin. And NO, attending some puppy-pilot mill academy is NOT the same thing as a four year degree. You'll be laughed out of a serious interview if you try to compare.

Almerick, logic flawed

Almerick, your logic is flawed. You can not make your comparison, because the two will not be equal. John the guy with the degree at age 28 has 3500 hours, 1500 MEL, 1000 Turbine and the Joe the guy without the degree has 5500 hours, 3500 MEL, 1500 TJ PIC under part 121, and two jet type ratings. Who is hired? The degree does not make the difference in this case. It is the quality of the applicants flight time and experience. That is why flying if you want to be a pilot is the most important thing. My opinion only of course.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back