• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Pilot Certification Requirements for Air Carrier Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bull. Instructors spend nearly all their time in simulated IMC. You cannot replace actual line flying experience in IMC conditions.

And double bull to you.

You have no idea what you are talking about. When an instructor is working a student in a high-density area doing approaches in a multi-engine aircraft, it barely matters whether it is actual IMC or not (though I have plenty of both).

A low-time FO in a regional jet is far more of a "passenger" than the MEI in real weather.

It's really too bad you have a thing against instructors. Or maybe you just didn't learn much from being one.

no one here can argue for the ridiculous 3 choice memorization ritual known as our writtens. They are moronic.

If you're too dumb or lazy to get through a JAA type academic program- you shouldn't be flying.
If you don't like modeling after europeans - then let's model the academics in the civilian world after the US navy.

The JAA curriculum is totally an exercise in rote memorization. If you think its bad that the FAA tests are that way, well the JAA is like 6 months of rote memorization, and much of it is just memorize, take the test, and then forget it all.

How is memorizing a lot of useless knowledge, just to take a test on it, any better when its months and months worth? Because much of it is entirely useless too.

I haven't been through the JAA program- I've been through my schools which were fairly difficult and provided a decent foundation while stepping through my initial experience-

My beef is with programs that give a student a gleim study book - end up passing written tests in much easier forums- and then it's off to build experience towing gliders or banners in clear vfr all day--- that pilot is weaker and should be weeded out-

How weak undisciplined pilots are weeded out, I don't care and is the point of this thread.
There are many different paths to excellence in aviation.
We can recognize this while acknowledging that there are also many different paths to mediocrity and outright incompetence. And I've seen weak pilots at just about every step-from being a student, to my peers instructing, fellow FOs and captains at commuters and regionals - and now at each major I've worked
at.

We need a process that weeds them out- and my vote is to require more rigorous academics in line with a legal bar exam. If you are not smart enough nor disciplined enough to make it through- piss off-- they'll be a good pilot knocked out every now and then- but 90% who couldn't make it through are the ones dragging down this industry.

Low time or high time...High education or No education...Military or Civilian...

None of it really matters. There are some people that "get it" and some that "don't" and at this stage they never will. They might "get it" enough to squeak through the system but when the "... hits the fan", you better hang on to your hat.

Great Idea

I haven't been through the JAA program- I've been through my schools which were fairly difficult and provided a decent foundation while stepping through .........ou are not smart enough nor disciplined enough to make it through- piss off-- they'll be a good pilot knocked out every now and then- but 90% who couldn't make it through are the ones dragging down this industry.
Great idea lets make score like a 28 on the ACT or a 1250 on the SAT a requirement to get an ATP. That would certainly cut down the number of people who would qualify for an ATP. No college required but just basic intelligence. That would eliminate about 80% of the people getting into flying today.

Agree and would add....

In addition the pilot profession paid well and thus attracted many applicants. This created a demand signal. Side, for profit, industries were formed to satisfy this demand (Univ. programs, pilot mills, etc...) The industry has got "too efficient" at supplying pilots, thus the current oversupply and lower compensation. Technology made the skill set less demanding and further increased the supply.

Any industry that refuses to compensate their people wisely will have trouble recruiting and retaining the best and the brightest people that industry has to offer hands down, and "wee wee" on any other noises!

Latest resources

Back