• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NEW OT RULES: Are pilots "White Collar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The new regulations specifically address pilots. My copy of the regs is at work so I cannot quote from it right now. Commercial pilots operating under the RLA, are (and always have been) exempt unless covered by a CBA. All other pilots, including corporate pilots, are considered as non-exempt. That means, that they are not exempt from the overtime rules of the FLSA. That means they have always been and will continue to be entitled to overtime pay. The amount depends upon the state in which you are employed. This represents no change from the prior regulations.

HrDiva

White collar?

I used to think it was white collar until checking the oil in the hell hole ruined one of my white shirts one night. Maybe it is for the CA.
Not complaining necessairly, just an observation. Hell of a job for a guy in a white shirt:)

CCDiscoB said:
We're paid by the hour not by salary.

Besides, I don't know if pilots are considered white collar. I'd bet many consider us as blue collar. Hourly employees, Union, etc, etc.
Actually, I'm paid a salary.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Think you are professional like a doctor or lawyer? As a pilot, can you quit your "practice" and start your own airline?
QUOTE]

Well, judging from the endless posts from pilots and their "expert" opinions on what is the right way to run an airline, who should get paid how much, and how management always sucks, I should think it would be quite easy. This is America after all, and anyone can give it a go, and many have. Just ask any former Kiwi guy.

CatYaaak said:
Actually, I'm paid a salary.
I'd imagine you are a corporate pilot. Guys like you should vote for Bush. When your company prospers so do you... If I flew jets for Goldman Sachs I'd vote for Bush.

However, this logic doesn't apply to organized labor. Many airline pilots will vote for Bush with the logic that if my company does well, then so will I. This logic is flawed in that if, for whatever reason, you no longer work for the company (fired or quit), the company will still be there prospering. But where are you? There is no commitment to quid pro quo.... Thanks for your political vote but we no longer need you.... In addition, with no representation or bargaining rights you gotta take what you get.. (i.e. jB E-190 rates)

Organized labor wants their company to do well. They just want their fair and reasonable share in return for thier contributions to the companies success. Screw that 'choke the golden goose till we get every last egg' Dubinsky mantra...

[caution: this thread is kinda being hijacked...]

The politics of Bush want airline pilots to cycle through employment keeping wages down. Bush politics does not want you to have an airline career! They want new hires as often as they can at first year wages....

But you say Gun Control or abortion (insert your favorite issue here) is too important for me. I just can't vote for Kerry...

Is gun control or abortion more important than your house note and food on the table? That is just the basics... Don't you want your career to prosper as well?

I've heard pilots say "I don't need 300k a year. I'm cool with 150K/year. This is a bad mentaility trap to get into. If 150 is ok, then how about 140. 120? Is 100k ok? If I can negotiate 300k fairly and reasonably then let's do it.... DO you think the company will give you a fair and reasonable career/benefits without employee representation.

Pilots even say I'll just quit being a pilot and find another job if thats the case. This is trash talking but if you aren't willing to defend the profession and abortion/gun control or another issue is more important, then don't sacrifice a great career for the rest of us....

Even so, it isn't black and white. Vote for your issue; which is your airline career and when Kerry tries to push an issue you are against then oppose it. Tackle the issue not the politician!! Sure it is more work than just voting every four years, but democracy and your airline career isn't a spectator sport.....

Rez O. Lewshun

Excellent post.... a lot of food for thought. hummmmmm

asacap said:
Rez O. Lewshun,

How come such low self-esteem? I consider pilots to be professionals. The snubbing the maid thing is all you. I've never done it nor will I ever. I don't consider myself better than anyone. By the way, is it OK for a doctor to snub the maid?
the maid told me that you snubbed her with "stumpy the meat puppet".

So, if you're a pilot not covered by the RLA/CBA (corporate or frax), and you make over $100,000 per year, you will no longer be legally entitled to overtime pay(?)

"White-collar employees who earn more than $100,000 a year are automatically exempt from overtime pay under the new law."

Some flight departments classify their pilots as executive-level employees. That sounds "white-collar" (by definition) to me.

I suppose it will depend on the environment in which the pilot works. I can see some companies taking advantage of this.

So, I'm getting $85k as a corporate pilot and I go in to request overtime for the 11 hour legs with two pilots. Whaddya think the chief pilot is going to say?

BTW, Rez, I'm not voting for Kerry because I don't want some guy worth a Billion bucks controlling my life... Oh, wait, they already do. Never mind. :eek: TC

The $100,000 wage cap for non-exempt only applies to those in non-manual positions. And you have to meet one of the tests for exemption as well. So, there is really no way that a $100,000 salaried pilot not covered by the RLA would qualify for exemption. It's really intended for the marketing person who may only supervise one person, for example. Under the old rules, the executive exemption required that you supervise two or more people.

And, unless your in the country of California, overtime is paid for hours over 40 in a week, not over 8 in a day.

HRDiva

Latest resources

Back