New Orleans... very sad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
macfly said:
I am getting a little tired of hearing about the poor that didnt get out of NO. Too poor to buy a bus ticket last weekend? BS. These people did not heed the warning to get the hell out of dodge and they are paying for it in spades. They blew it off thinking 'It will not happen to me' and got burned. I feel for ya, but maybe you ought to listen next time, I bet they will next time.

Fine, let's just leave them to die then. They didn't get out so **** them. Pull your head out of your *** and see what's happening!!

jarhead said:
Are you really that thick headed? People ARE starving to death in New Orleans. Little 3 and 4 week old infants with no baby formula have starved to death. The corpses of some are on the floor in the Super Dome. The bodies of elderly men and women are rotting on the overpasses by the Super Dome. For you to blithely state with some sort of false intellect....etc., etc., etc...

Jarhead, as usual, you are just about as interesting to read as, say, a Krugman column. You spout off about how outrageous and stupid right-wing media types are, and then you quote at length from the Rush Limbaugh of Liberal columnists.

I get it, I get it, I get it... GWB is responsible. The Republicans are responsible. FOR EVERYTHING. This country is going to **** in a handbasket and it's all their fault. Everyone in the Republican-dominated government knew ahead of time that NO was going to take a hit and they did nothing about it. The science of hurricane forecasting has never claimed a major storm was about to wipe out a population center and then that population center barely got rain, so every doom-and-gloom report was absolutely above reproach and the city of NO should have been evacuated by force. 100,000 Marines should've been waiting 50mi north to stop the looters that they knew were going to run rampant in the city (and the Gulf coast), but they couldn't, since GWB is gleefully getting them all killed overseas. If we weren't in Iraq, all those troops would be handing out daisies in a dry NO. Hey, maybe GWB is doing all this because he doesn't like people who are, as Wolf Blitzer said, "So poor, so black".

I would go on, but even you get the idea. I can see every one of your pithy little arguments coming a mile away. Amazing how this administration is responsible for absolutely EVERY wrong. Your arguments were old a year ago and aren't getting any more fresh.

I may be thick-headed, but at least I can read. I said "otherwise healthy people are not dropping dead of starvation". Your post paints a picture of hundreds of people lying about dead all over the place, all of starvation. If, in fact, there are dead babies strewn across overpasses and sporting arenas, is it possible that they died of some other cause than starvation in 100hrs? Have a handful of people died of starvation, the already desperately ill and the very young? I'm sure they have. Is it the largest concern in NO right now? Are there going to be stacks of bodies by week's end because thousands have died of starvation? Not by a long shot. The real problem is not grumbling in the stomach, it's the cesspool that these people are wading through or floating on and the lack of medicine for those who currently depend upon them. What they need is WATER and to get the **** out of there, especially the infirm and those in hospital who are more susceptible to shortages of water, medicine, and yes, food.

I know you're always quick to jump down my throat on any point whatsoever, but are you enough of a fool to not recognize my point that there aren't funeral pyres of hundreds of dead who got that way because they STARVED in a period of time that doesn't even encompass a regular work week? Apparently you are.

After skimming the rest of your drivel I got your other point, that of course I am somehow not "feeling" enough for the people of NO. Of COURSE you would say that... Standard leftie maneuver, that one, if you don't agree in whole with every claim of horror in NO, you are an unfeeling Republican. No surprise. It's completely unbelievable that anyone would raise an eyebrow in disbelief or question a point that lapses into hyperbole, right?

But then again, you probably don't recognize what I'm talking about, as it's the staple of half your posts, if not more.

jarhead - Its obvious that you dont agree with the war and thats fine, you are certainly not alone. Using the war as a reason things arent going well in the gulf is a spin and you know it. Iraq is not our only national expense. Nice try though, if your flying career does not work out, you might have a future at CNN.

wrxpilot said:
Fine, let's just leave them to die then. They didn't get out so **** them. Pull your head out of your *** and see what's happening!!

/sigh yes I want them to pay for their stupity, we should suspend all rescue operations so we can teach them a lesson.

/sigh

It's clear that a month ago President Bush should have declared New Orleans "District of Columbia 2" and just taken the place over.

Seeing that the entire city and state chain of command are Democrats it was oblivious that there was no way they could be expected to take care of themselves for even a day in any sort of emergency.

I have it on good authority that in the weeks before the hurricane Bush never once called the Mayor of NO and warned him that the city might need a hurricane plan of some kind beyond going on TV and blaming somebody else.

It's Bush's fault for trusting Democrats to be able to govern themselves.

macfly said:
jarhead - Its obvious that you dont agree with the war and thats fine, you are certainly not alone. Using the war as a reason things arent going well in the gulf is a spin and you know it. Iraq is not our only national expense. Nice try though, if your flying career does not work out, you might have a future at CNN.
Don't worry about my flying career working out macfly. I'm 65 years old and have been retired for several years now.

I am not alone in the assessment that this war in Iraq has drained our resources of men, equipment, and money to the breaking point. Why are there no Federal troops or adequate guard with convoys of vehicles providing food, water and medicine to the victims, and why has such an inadequate response to getting people out of those areas devastated? I notice that the press seems to be able to get in and out with their camera's and portable generators. The area in and around downtown N.O. does have busses leaving with people. Just too few and way too late. So it is possible to get people moved out....just not enough resources to get the job run, and an extreme incompetence at the highest levels of government.

God help us if we have these folks in charge if a terror attack comes without warning and to an unknown place. We knew exactly where this disaster would hit, and we knew when well in advance, yet look at how ineffective FEMA and Homeland Security have responded. It's shameful and a national disgrace.

Jim brings up a good point...

The mayor was complaining that he was getting school buses for rescue transportation instead of greyhound buses.

Which one was in his original evac plan, or did he have one?

Looks like the city was not prepared and is now blaming national rescue services for thier lack of foresight.

macfly said:
/sigh yes I want them to pay for their stupity, we should suspend all rescue operations so we can teach them a lesson.

/sigh

Thank you, your sarcasm or "/sigh" is duly noted. I don't know why more people did not leave for a CAT 5. But this is the situation now and it needs to be dealt with. It could just as easily have been an earthquake with no warning. That's what scares me... A catastrophe met w/ another catastrophe. The blame is not on any one person's shoulders. This was screwed up by everybody except the meteorologists that were begging the local government and citizens to evacuate.

wrxpilot said:
Thank you, your sarcasm or "/sigh" is duly noted. I don't know why more people did not leave for a CAT 5. But this is the situation now and it needs to be dealt with. It could just as easily have been an earthquake with no warning. That's what scares me... A catastrophe met w/ another catastrophe. The blame is not on any one person's shoulders. This was screwed up by everybody except the meteorologists that were begging the local government and citizens to evacuate.

well said...

I wonder if those 2000lb sand bags are working. Good news is that the weather looks good for the next couple of days.

Just heard that a 8 mile long rescue convoy is right outside NO. 600 national guards should be there shortly.

macfly said:
Jim brings up a good point...

The mayor was complaining that he was getting school buses for rescue transportation instead of greyhound buses.

Which one was in his original evac plan, or did he have one?

Looks like the city was not prepared and is now blaming national rescue services for thier lack of foresight.
It's important for you to protect and deflect criticism of the federal authorities and the administration, isn't it? Not Bushes fault. He didn't cause this. The blame has to be put on the mayor of that large city. You have your heroes to protect no matter how badly they screwed the pooch.

You may have totally missed the point the mayor was making, but I think you intentionally misrepresented his plea. He was not implying that he needed more luxury in buses like a Greyhound over a school bus. He was pleading that it is not enough for the scope of this calamity. They need far more transport than they have available. Do you believe that all the school buses were spared from being wrecked by flood waters? For gods sake, just look at the pictures taken all over that state with trucks and cars totally submerged, no electricity to pump gasoline even if they had vehicles, and water up to the second floors of buildings. I just cannot understand the denial some people have, and how they want to blame the victim, and deflect any criticism of federal authority.

Latest resources

Back