• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Workin'Stiff

Fire in 'da hole!!!!
Mesaba sets deadline for contracts

The airline told its unions that if labor deals can't be reached by June 12, it will return to court in an effort to void its current contracts.
Liz Fedor, Star TribuneLast update: June 02, 2006 – 12:10 AM

Mesaba Airlines notified union leaders Thursday that it must reach concessionary labor agreements by June 12 or the carrier will return to bankruptcy court and renew its motion to nullify existing labor contracts.Since December, Mesaba has been attempting to reduce its labor costs by 19.4 percent. The carrier set that goal after Northwest Airlines, which pays Mesaba for regional flying, skipped some payments to Mesaba and told the smaller carrier that it will cut its fleet in half.
Both airlines are reorganizing in bankruptcy. Mesaba, which has bid for new regional jets from Northwest, is trying to reduce its labor and nonlabor costs as part of that process.
Mesaba has been operating four-engine Avro jets and Saab turboprops for Northwest. The Avros are being phased out of Mesaba's fleet and management has said it needs the cuts in its labor costs to secure its core business of flying 49 Saabs and to attract new business from Northwest and other carriers.
"It is unavoidable to note that Northwest Airlines is moving forward in its reorganization process, and unless Mesaba solves its cost problems, its future with Northwest is at risk," Mesaba President John Spanjers said in a letter to the airline's unions.
On May 18, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Gregory Kishel denied Mesaba's motion to void its contracts, but said the company could file a new request if it failed to reach deals at the bargaining table.
The uncertainty of Mesaba's cost structure is "the single greatest threat to its ability to secure its business," Spanjers said.
Mesaba management on Thursday told the unions for its pilots and flight attendants about the June 12 deadline. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) was notified Wednesday.
In an update to mechanics, negotiator Nathan Winch said Spanjers "expressed his desire to reach a consensual deal with AMFA." The union also was given a "comprehensive contract proposal," Winch said.
If Mesaba returns to court and Kishel grants its motion to void its current contracts, the airline could impose new pay rates.

I guess we now know when the new 1113c will be filed...

lets hold strong...something tells me its better to hold than to give in on everything.....besides, if we truely go down to 49 saabs most of us will need new jobs anyways, so might as well take the company down if its not worth working there....do everyone a favor....get rid of crappy workplaces

Is there ever an end to this nonsense? I guess I will have to quit trying to wait out this big flying flaming turd. Back to the on demand world I go I guess. Too bad there aren't any other airlines hiring with DTW crew bases.

WMUSIGPI said:
Is there ever an end to this nonsense? I guess I will have to quit trying to wait out this big flying flaming turd. Back to the on demand world I go I guess. Too bad there aren't any other airlines hiring with DTW crew bases.

Oh trust me there is another airline hiring with a DTW base

what compass? Because from what i heard, not a lot of NWA guys are excited about making what their FO will make. And with the last announcement, did not NWA say they will be recalling more mainline guys? So why go work for Compass when they can see with just the retirements planned they will be called back to a better paying job in a couple years? Here is a thought, Mesaba (MAIR holdings)bought a airline for about the same amount of money which has been draining money ever since to get the pilots to accept a lower cost contract. Might NWA be doing the same thing? look at how because of Compass, the regional contracts are all being lowered.....

Another thought, there is no way they can get all the new planes, a training program, bases set up, infastructure, whatever to get Compass up and running by 2007. HAve anyone heard of them hiring? has any NWA people been told they are to start training? Has any airport been given a heads up on planes being parked there comping from montreal?

2+2 does not equal 4 here people how will NWA as they said to have a complete airline up and running so soon? or even in a year if they are not at least inching a long?

yuck....go from one bad job to a worse one? no thanks, i am sure i can find a non-flying job which would be more satisfying

No thanks to Pinnacle... I'd take commuting to Indy or Columbus and work for Shuttle America long before considering Pinnacle...

xjhawk said:
Has any airport been given a heads up on planes being parked there coming from montreal?

They won't be coming from Montreal-They'll be coming from a more southern region.

Latest resources

Back