• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New hires dipping out of CRJ-XJT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah, everyone else can pound sand so you can get yours. Can't argue with that. See the signature.
No.

How did you manage to twist my desire to have a profitable company and therefore a profitable paycheck into me screwing others so I can get ahead?

I simply believe those who work hard at building a company should reap the financial results. If anything, those who just get hired to grab a type and recency of experience in order to immediately get a job somewhere else, are the ones taking advantage of me in order to "get theirs" and move on.

You guys just don't get it. SKYW makes lots of money, they want that and all of yours too. Including your health care, 401(k), piggy bank, lunch money, recycling money ect. If you make SKYW Lots of money they will say thanks, here's a Bag Tag, register for your chance to win the 300kb MP3/iPod like music player.
News flash, they will only pay you, just enough to keep coming to work, one penny more is wasted tiki torch money.

There are two issues here: SKYW making lots of money, and me making lots of money.

I don't doubt that they want all of theirs AND all of mine. I will draw a line at what I believe my compensation should be, and I will not drink the kool-aid that tells me I have to bend over just because DL and UA are intentionally underpaying us.

But I also know that it's easier to get a bigger paycheck if the pot that we're fighting over is bigger. If the pot's empty, all the chest-pounding in the world doesn't mean squat--just ask the Pinnacle guys, the Comair guys, etc.

Why is it so hard to get every pilot out there on board with maximizing company profits AND maximizing pilot compensation?

How did you manage to twist my desire to have a profitable company and therefore a profitable paycheck into me screwing others so I can get ahead?

You may think you're taking the high road by including inc. in your desire for money, but all I get out of your post is "me me me."

Why is it so hard to get every pilot out there on board with maximizing company profits AND maximizing pilot compensation?

Because pilots don't have control on what the mainline pays Skywest per block hour. And when is the last time one of the pilots was the sole reason you weren't on time or a flight cancelled? It's vey rare that pilots are the reason for poor performance (D0, A14, etc), their other form of revenue. Soooo, the only other way is to reduce cost. And guess whose cost is the biggest? The pilots!

They may make you feel like you are the reason for good/bad performance (aka kool aid) but the reality is that you are not that big of a wheel in the performance cog as you are in the cost cog. So which one do they squeeze while also petting you on the head?

Because pilots don't have control on what the mainline pays Skywest per block hour. And when is the last time one of the pilots was the sole reason you weren't on time or a flight cancelled? It's vey rare that pilots are the reason for poor performance (D0, A14, etc), their other form of revenue. Soooo, the only other way is to reduce cost. And guess whose cost is the biggest? The pilots!

They may make you feel like you are the reason for good/bad performance (aka kool aid) but the reality is that you are not that big of a wheel in the performance cog as you are in the cost cog. So which one do they squeeze while also petting you on the head?
This thread was about new-hires leaving right after their training. That is a controllable cost, one that pilots could control if we endorsed a training bond in our contract. Why not limit costs incurred by other people who aren't planning on working at your airline?

You may think you're taking the high road by including inc. in your desire for money, but all I get out of your post is "me me me."
Let's analyze this concept of "me me me." A spoiled teenager who doesn't work for anything but says "I want I want I want" does not deserve anything. A person who works hard in his employment deserves every bit of his compensation. We are talking about a fair exchange of labor for compensation.

I deserve good compensation from my company. For me to try to maximize my compensation simply by attempting to limit the opportunities of moochers who take training but have no intention of working for it is hardly "me me me."

The company knows there are pilots who come just to get current. They try to weed them out during the hiring process but some get through. They just accept its part of running a regional.

It's hard enough to attract pilots when you compete against signing bonuses. If there was a training contract there would be no applicants at all. The real answer is higher pay, better first year qol and work/reserve rules. Not to mention top-of-the-line healthcare. They used to pay 24 hour per diem. Even that would help, but who wouldn't still run for better pastures.

We've been waiting for the pendulum to swing in our favor for years and now we fault those who benefit from it. The regionals have been combative and harassing pilots for years rather than positive and humane. Now they're going to bear the results.

Last edited:
People are gonna do what they're gonna do. You can't change the person only their incentives... And that was a good post, bill squared (wms)

On another note... Happy Aviation Maintenance Technician Day! Have you thanked Frank for changing your nav bulbs lately?

Last edited:
Let's analyze this concept of "me me me." A spoiled teenager who doesn't work for anything but says "I want I want I want" does not deserve anything. A person who works hard in his employment deserves every bit of his compensation. We are talking about a fair exchange of labor for compensation.

I deserve good compensation from my company. For me to try to maximize my compensation simply by attempting to limit the opportunities of moochers who take training but have no intention of working for it is hardly "me me me."

Your only digging a bigger hole for yourself. "I work hard, so I deserve." You deserve more compensation by making people work under you for a contractual period of time? I hardly think so.

The regional business model is predicated on high turn over, they know that. They would rather pay the training costs over paying a livable wage. I have heard terms like "top heavy" and "too senior pilot group" from top level management. They want you and every other person gone. If they wanted to keep employees around then they should make it an attractive place to work. They don't want it to be an attractive place to work. They want you gone. If a few leave before they recoup everyone's training cost. Too bad, that's the cost of the business model. With the new contracts at the majors, making 25% of your potential income to stay at a regional is a really bad decision. In what's becoming a really competitive pilot hiring market, any training contract might be a huge deal breaker for anyone choosing where to go.

Ten years ago the pay and work rules wasn't such a disparity. If your one of those regional lifers who made that decision years ago, stop throwing junior people under the bus to pad your W2.

Latest resources

Back