New generation of USAF officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Daedalians . . .

OK, I'm late to the fight, but I left yesterday, and it takes a while in my handsome high performance C-130 Hercules that I used to fly ;-) Just a rhetorical question for all the active duty, reserve, guard, and retired guys, USMC, USN, USAF, USA, and USCG . . . how many of you are Daedalian members?

This group of aviators is dedicated to the memory of those who first flew our nations aircraft in combat (WW I). Respect for each other at Daedalian meetings is immeasurable -- what we have done, and for what we will do. You bring the retired guys who flew/fought in the Big One (WW II), some guys that flew low-level reconnaisance over the Soviet Union in the 50s/60s, Korean War, and Vietnam. Then, throw in the guys from Shield/Storm, Bosnia, and others, plus the guys actively fighting now, and it is just a fantastic time. Yea, there may be one or two who are there to be seen, but . . . the older guys from pre-Shield/Storm have the best stories, and their PC skills are lacking ;-) (And if you should be one of the more mature guys, absolutely no disrespect intended).

Look into it, or if you want more info, PM me.
Cheers
'Props

since 1980. Life member, and charter member of two flights

Cool Beans ! ! !

Benhuntn said:
since 1980. Life member, and charter member of two flights

Telling your age there . . . as for me, since 1993, life member. You know the fellowship and respect to which I refer. A toast . . .

Daedalians

Great organization with great guest speakers! At "Space Flight" (Patrick AFB) in the early '70s, we still had some members who flew in WWI. At "Frank P. Lahm Flight" (Wright-Patterson AFB) we had Dr. Hans von Ohain (co-inventor of the jet engine), as a speaker. At "Test Flight" (Edwards AFB), we heard from Burt Rutan and Tony Levier (Lockheed test pilot--P-38, P-80, F-104, U-2).

Scrapdog said:
That's not a problem with the heavy community - that's an issue that probably started in pilot training. If the kid stinks that bad...he probably showed multiple signs of that in tweets and later on in the T-1. It's the inability to wash guys out that are weak swimmers from the AETC side of the house that permeate later on in whatever jet they go to. Probably have more of an issue with that in the heavy community than fighters, but the root cause stems from AETC early on in their flying careers.

Don't lump that ANG/AFRC guys in that stinky heavy pilot stuff. Most of us finished at the top of our classes, ahead of the AD fighter types.

CLAMBAKE

pkober said:
Don't lump that ANG/AFRC guys in that stinky heavy pilot stuff. Most of us finished at the top of our classes, ahead of the AD fighter types.

CLAMBAKE

Deal - consider it "unlumped." Pkober - I'm sure you showed those silly AD fighter guys a thing or two.

And I'm sure you realized the point of my post wasn't even close to a compare/contrast of ANG fatty drivers to AD fighter guys. It was instead intent on showing that root problems with weak swimmers usually stems from a weak showing in UPT, both in the fatty and the fighter community alike.

Last edited:
Hey guys this is a great thread, really helping us young guys looking into the AFROTC and/or NROTC.

From reading your posts I realize how tough it can be to get a pilot spot, and it seems with anything in the world today you must impress somebody or know somebody. I am a real competitior, so it disturbs me to hear about those Star Trek guys. Im trying to figure out what line to walk if/when I do go ROTC and Im at a base or just anywhere I guess around superiors.

My question is how can I learn and show that I am dedicated without becoming a nuesance? What kind of an approach can one take to being personable with officers at the base and not be some annoying kid asking too many questions? (like im doing now). Basically how would you expect a top notch cadet to act while on these visits to bases.

Thanks alot guys.

Scrapdog said:
Deal - consider it "unlumped." Pkober - I'm sure you showed those silly AD fighter guys a thing or two.

And I'm sure you realized the point of my post wasn't even close to a compare/contrast of ANG fatty drivers to AD fighter guys. It was instead intent on showing that root problems with weak swimmers usually stems from a weak showing in UPT, both in the fatty and the fighter community alike.

I don't define myself by my airplane or my college.

I got your underhanded comment about most of the problem children from UPT going to heavies. I just wanted to make sure you didn't lump us ANG bubba's into that pot. The silly AD fighter guys in my class weren't fighter guys yet, they were just students. We didn't and still don't define ourselves by our airplane.

pkober said:
I don't define myself by my airplane or my college.

I got your underhanded comment about most of the problem children from UPT going to heavies. I just wanted to make sure you didn't lump us ANG bubba's into that pot. The silly AD fighter guys in my class weren't fighter guys yet, they were just students. We didn't and still don't define ourselves by our airplane.

Dude - chill. There was no underhanded comment whatsoever, and I don't define myself by my airplane, nor do my peers from what I know of. I was strictly referring to the fact (as I'll say again) that guys with "issues" in their respective ops units usually have those issues arise early on in their UPT classes - T-37's, T-38's, and/or T-1's.

For the college thing - Heck, I don't even know where you want to college anyway. For me, I'm proud of the fact I went to the zoo...if you've got an issue with that, I'm sorry. Never once have I said anything to substantiate that I define myself by that institution, other than my avatar (and that's because I like to root on the football team).

Last edited:
shutout390 said:
Hey guys this is a great thread, really helping us young guys looking into the AFROTC and/or NROTC.

From reading your posts I realize how tough it can be to get a pilot spot, and it seems with anything in the world today you must impress somebody or know somebody. I am a real competitior, so it disturbs me to hear about those Star Trek guys. Im trying to figure out what line to walk if/when I do go ROTC and Im at a base or just anywhere I guess around superiors.

My question is how can I learn and show that I am dedicated without becoming a nuesance? What kind of an approach can one take to being personable with officers at the base and not be some annoying kid asking too many questions? (like im doing now). Basically how would you expect a top notch cadet to act while on these visits to bases.

Thanks alot guys.

First off, take a lot of what is being posted with a grain of salt. Realize that opinions are like... well.. you know. The best way you'll get a taste of what the current Air Force is like is to go out there and experience it for yourself. What some of the old heads on here are saying about weak leadership and quibbling is true--but there are still many warrior types out there and you'll need to be able to identify who's who. Same thing with your classmates. There are some real touchy-feely dorks out there; but then there are some folks who you'll watch in a brief or off your wing and think "damn, that dude is pretty good". Again, take mental notes about what you think makes your Sq/CC so successful and also look at the weak officers and see what about them pisses you (and everyone else) off--stay away from those traits, obviously. Try to help them out, but, don't spend too much time (about 2 minutes into tutoring one UPT classmate , I could tell he didn't want to be there).

Have confidence in yourself and your skills going into the task but don't let it get in the way of acknowledging your weaknesses. If you slipped 100' below MDA it was your fault--not a coincidental downburst of wind over the final approach course. Same can be said for your successes; be proud of when you nailed that cuban-8 but don't let it sidetrack your focus.

Finally, don't be the kid playing World of Warcraft with Leeroy Jenkins at 11pm after rollcall or whatever. You don't have to get wasted every Friday/Saturday night, but be a sociable friend and good source of conversation for the rest of your coworkers.

I'm sure other guys on the board will have more info but the above should hold you over until they weigh in; PM me if you have anymore questions.

Latest resources

Back