Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aero99

just a member, not senior
I have some insider info regarding a new GA aircraft that is in a concept stage right now. I can't name the company, but here are some preliminary specs. Most interesting part is the company is not an Aircraft Manufacture.

target price 200k
composite
160-180 hp
4 place
1000 range
1200 PAYLOAD
fixed gear
low wing
avionics:
two flat panel diplays for all instruments
standard avionics include traffic watch, terrain avoid, weather radar, forward looking radar, auto pilot etc....

Anyone know who/what I'm talking about?
Sorry, I can't tell.

Sounds like competition for the Lancair Columbia 300 or the Cirrus SR20/22. Of course, getting a payload of 1200 with 160hp will be very interesting with all those avionics.

It has the side stick controls too, like the Lancair and Cirrus.

I heard several years ago that Toyota was looking into getting into the GA market with a plane of their own. I think they even had a modified Lexus V-8 flying on a Piper or something. I don't think any company would want to jump into this kind of market right now, though.

Keep your eyes and ears open, should be interesting.

I was involved in market research and had to sign a waiver stating I wouldn't give specifics. Law suits are more important than a rating here....sorry.

PS eaglerj is perseptive.

No. In fact, I don't think it can be done for under 250k. At least not the concept I previewed. With the cost of a new certification, along with R&D, and then manufacturing, the number of units needed to be produced to break even would be too high.

Of course the company wanting to do it has the pockets to take a loss for many years if they truely want in the GA manufacturing biz.

It is a neat concept and maybe someday GA will have a new look and new technology as a base model, but I wouldn't want to be involved in the process with my money.

I am impressed with the Lancair (which this aircraft resembles-minus the performance) but I think they have a long and hard road ahead of them as a "new" GA manufacture.

I think Toyota pulled out of the GA industry. They were going to offer Lexus V-8 engines for Ga use and experimental I believe also.

They had some mounted on a King Air 90.

That was a few years back that I heard that.

Latest resources

Back