New FAA rest rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are already regulated. By the NTSB, FAA, DOT, yada yada yada,
What we need is the feds to set a rate for ticket prices so airlines don't have to take the money from labor to make a profit.
Then airlines would have to compete with quality of service rather than price. The consumer would win. Employees would win. There may be less people flying because the price is going to go up, so that should take care of the future pilot shortage. Again Win Win for All. Regulation is the key.
Tried it. The CAB ended up in the pockets of the airline. They greenlit any fare or rule that the airline asked for. So now they had monopolies on the routes they would fly and the fares they would set.

The customer lost big. Some employees would win, but the industry would experience a large downsizing correction that there would be a lot of employees that wouldn't make the cut.

I guess that would be one way of solving the impending pilot shortage.

We are already regulated. By the NTSB, FAA, DOT, yada yada yada,
What we need is the feds to set a rate for ticket prices so airlines don't have to take the money from labor to make a profit.
Then airlines would have to compete with quality of service rather than price. The consumer would win. Employees would win. There may be less people flying because the price is going to go up, so that should take care of the future pilot shortage. Again Win Win for All. Regulation is the key.
Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. Really great for the senior 20%, bad for everyone else

I really hope the unintended consequences don't include EVERY overnight now being 9-10 hours! As in no more 13,15,18 layovers. Is mgmt gonna try and say they cant afford anything over 9 hours now?

I really hope the unintended consequences don't include EVERY overnight now being 9-10 hours! As in no more 13,15,18 layovers. Is mgmt gonna try and say they cant afford anything over 9 hours now?

Kind of hard to do that when the max duty day ranges from 9-13 hours.
There would have to be some longer overnights in there somewhere.

That very thing results in unproductive trips. Get your drinking done on your own time!!

That very thing results in unproductive trips. Get your drinking done on your own time!!

Exactly. I saw a result of putting the chart in to current schedules. 4 days ran 18-20 hours. Unfortunately there were no other kind of trips. -Only 4 days.

Latest resources

Back