• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

new faa license

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When did a credit card type license start? Do they scan the things now or what?

Well, I think it has a picture or Orville ... or is it Wilbur, I can never tell those two apart.

ya, i think it cost a few bucks to get a replacement certificate. Last month though the faa had a link on their site where you could change your certificate number from your social security number to another random number. since I didn't want my ssn all over the place i requested it be changed, and they sent me a new credit card style certificate w/ the new number on it for free. Here is the link. http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/change_certificate_number/
No pictures on it though. You would think with the new change they would have done that, but its the faa we are talking about.
jonathan

Way2Broke said:
When did a credit card type license start? Do they scan the things now or what?

I think they've been out for about 2 years. I don't have one in front of me, but I don't even think there is a magnetic/scan strip on it.

No magnetic strip. Picture of both Orville and Wilbur. Your name and address on one side, certificates and ratings on the other. Pay the few bucks to get a replacement or do like most and wait until your next rating, change of address, etc.

A change of address do not give you a new license unless you ask and pay for it.
The only reason you notify them that you changed your address is so THEY can contact YOU if needed, usually by certified mail.

PaulThomas said:
The only reason you notify them that you changed your address is so THEY can contact YOU if needed, usually by certified mail.

And I would have to imagine that they wouldn't just be sending you a Christmas card if they were trying to reach you!

PaulThomas said:
A change of address do not give you a new license unless you ask and pay for it.

True, you'll have to mail in a few bucks for the new one.

However, young Jedi, take a very close look at FAR Part 61.60 and read carefully:

The holder of a pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor certificate who has made a change in permanent mailing address may not, after 30 days from that date, exercise the privileges of the certificate untill the holder has notified in writing the FAA, Airman Certification Branch...of the new permanent mailing address, or the permanent mailing address includes a post office box number, then the holder's current residential address

Sure would be a bitch to get ramped and your certificate has one address and your medical another!

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back