New Delhi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
The civilian fuelers do a fuel check and they show it to you. (I wish I knew what I was looking at...)

We stayed at the Marriott and it was in a so-so area and isn't the best I've stayed at. We were there at the end of 20-some days for me so I wasn't exactly in a touisty mood.

We did go to a really affluent area to pick up the boss' bags and that was really nice. He stayed at the Taj Hotel (?).

Have fun.TC

Taj or the Hyatt!

http://delhi.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Marriotts overseas?? --- TC, I know you're an old airline guy, but ya gotta get over that Marriott thing....

:rolleyes: ;) :D

tech stops - I guess there are a bunch....Rome, Athens, Larnaca....YMMV of course.

Have a good Easter!

Last edited:
Tell me this is not so!!!

Ex Airline Capt. now G-550 driver picking up bags. Next you will cash those Marriott pionts for a crew room TV.:)

Mobie

V.
AA717driver said:
The civilian fuelers do a fuel check and they show it to you. (I wish I knew what I was looking at...)

We stayed at the Marriott and it was in a so-so area and isn't the best I've stayed at. We were there at the end of 20-some days for me so I wasn't exactly in a touisty mood.

We did go to a really affluent area to pick up the boss' bags and that was really nice. He stayed at the Taj Hotel (?).

Have fun.TC

AA717driver said:
Tundra--Where are you going to stop on the way over? I'm sure we'll be doing one trip over there this year.

To be determine but probably Oslo, Norway ENGM

Eh - He was never much to fly with on the "Red Stripe" side.

But I'm sure he can tell you all you want to know about Moline, IL !!

;) ;)

Just Kiddin TC.

Ok, yeah, I'm like a kid in a candy store with these Marriott points. (Although that's changing--I'm kind of looking favorably on jobs that DON'T rack up a bunch of points OR pay enough that it doesn't matter! :) ) But one rule I have is NEVER stay where the boss is staying. You'll end up being an ad hoc Personal Assistant. :eek:

mobie--I didn't start the practice of "fetchin' massa's bags" and I shure as he!! don't have the horsepower to stop it. ;)

Izzy--All I know about MLI is 'Old Chicago'. That's ALL I want to know... TC

And don't forget the dose of "Delhi-belly"

getting back to the original poster...

i was there late feb.

rent a taxi round-trip (preferably a SUV) to agra. should be around 3000 rs.

leave as early as possible...i think it opens at 6:am. supposedly it's beautiful at sunrise w/ not too many people. being in may...it'll be super hot...so again earlier
would be better.

the car will drop you about 1/2 mile from the taj. make sure you don't carry cell phones or mp3 players with you....lots of hassle. you can walk to the monument.

pay the entrance fee and stay away from the guides, photogs and hawkers.

enjoy...you'll see some unusual and maybe sometimes
unpleasant things...but remember it's a different country
and culture...just roll with it...

Thanks for the info. Delhi leaving tomorrow

Everyone was dead on with the information. We checked with the hotel, Hyatt, for arrangements to the Taj and were able to barter for a cheaper price for an air condition mini van from or handler (about $50 each for the 4 of us.) We did get to meet several of the in-laws of the driver but wasn't too unpleasant. The cousin’s roadside souvenir rest stop, the brother in-law’s Taj Mahal guide, the brother’s hand crafted gift shop, the nephews restaurant (there were other Westerners eating there but we had beer and kept moving), and we pasted on the family rug emporium.

If someone wants to make money, try getting a first class helicopter operation from New Delhi to Agra. The drive was....indescribable….I new there would be poverty, but the continual line of people and sacred cattle, camels, dogs, and over-gross vehicles and those little three wheel Briggs and Stratton taxi made for anything but a relaxed ride. However, with no safe quick air operation a “private ride” is the only way to go.

Again, thanks for the tips. Now I’ve been there, don’t that, and left the t-shirt.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back