• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Controller Facility Placement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The FAA's new management policy is a bunch of crap and word on the streets now is they are going to start shutting down the smaller facilities. I got in Sept 03 so I'm still on the B scale making an excellent living but the management crap isn't worth it. With the new pay scale, new hires aren't even showing up to the academy or their facilities.....And the FAA keeps lying over and over saying we aren't having a staffing crisis. As for the bids for placement. You pick a region or two, and they will stick you where they need you. Most likely enroute now but I've heard people going to Orlando and Daytona which is a recipe for failure. New hires going to busy facilites with combined tracon/tower really doesn't give them time to get skills before they start working there .... off!

Yea the new policy is crap, but its still a great job.

You no longer choose regions, you choose 5 states.

Regarding Academy no-shows...yea I know alot of people who are going to Lockheed for the little less pay, but better benefits and possibly better work environment.

Anywho yea ive had some downers with teh FAA so far, but hey, im 21 making good money living in a great appt and driving a new car. All while saving money on teh side. Life's great!

ATCT

Let us know when you get those D# pay increases. Some facilities get you through quick, others are slower than snails. Many new hires at ZDC (those I know graduated end of '06) are taking second jobs!!

Let us know when you get those D# pay increases. Some facilities get you through quick, others are slower than snails. Many new hires at ZDC (those I know graduated end of '06) are taking second jobs!!
I know its northern Virginia, but you should still be able to live on $32,000 + COL%...if you can't, you prolly just need to adjust your lifestyle.

I know its northern Virginia, but you should still be able to live on $32,000 + COL%...if you can't, you prolly just need to adjust your lifestyle.

Leesburg is pretty farkin' expensive...1,000+/mo for a decent one bedroom apartment. If you've got any kind of large debt payments (credit cards, student loans, cars, etc) it wouldn't be easy...

Leesburg is pretty farkin' expensive...1,000+/mo for a decent one bedroom apartment. If you've got any kind of large debt payments (credit cards, student loans, cars, etc) it wouldn't be easy...
Didn't realize even LEesburg would be that bad...theres always further south and west in the boonies. :D

I think prior federal/military service counts towards your pay level. So someone just out of college with no federal service starts at the bottom, but someone with federal or military service takes their pay grade with them...so after they get through training, they jump from 31,900 to whatever their pay grade dictates. I think.

Myth. My brother is former Military ATC, now DOD. Wants to move back to MN so unfortunately he has to switch to FAA. He's putting in his application in a week or so. He heard from a friend that you keep your pay so he checked into it. Turns out they treat you like any other newbie, despite his years of experience.

What are the chances that he'll get MN? I'm assuming it'd be ARTCC. He'd prefer a tower position though. Do you have to work you're way into a tower like STP or MSP? Anyone have any tips or suggestions how my bro can get where back to MN?

Myth. My brother is former Military ATC, now DOD. Wants to move back to MN so unfortunately he has to switch to FAA. He's putting in his application in a week or so. He heard from a friend that you keep your pay so he checked into it. Turns out they treat you like any other newbie, despite his years of experience.

What are the chances that he'll get MN? I'm assuming it'd be ARTCC. He'd prefer a tower position though. Do you have to work you're way into a tower like STP or MSP? Anyone have any tips or suggestions how my bro can get where back to MN?
They probably need controllers at all of those places. But its a crapshoot if he gets a Terminal or Center slot...

If you get a Center, I think you pretty much stay there. Terminal is easier to transfer around....from what I've heard.

Yes, Leesburg (anywhere in NoVA) is expensive. Add college loans from a bachelors degree at a CTI school, and its anywhere from tight to impossible to live on. Getting rid of the B-scale pay would make a huge difference, it'd be worth about $42k/yr at ZDC, at least thats what her initial offer was before she got the B-scale.

Lemme put it this way, thank god I'm not a regional f/o.

Latest resources

Back