• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Controller Facility Placement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the new "B" scale will pay you $31,900 once you graduate from the academy at OKC. From there you will get pay increases based on the % of training completed. If a person was expecting to make 100k at xyx tower fully checked out, they would start out making 31900. once they complete 25% of total positions at that facility, you will get a small raise. then 50%, 75% then eventually CPC where you will finally get that 100k.

unfortunately there aren't many facilities that will pay you 100k fully checked out under this new B scale. Fully checked out at a level 11 facility will only pay you 67k plus locality. A level 12 is only about 6 grand more.

the new "B" scale will pay you $31,900 once you graduate from the academy at OKC. From there you will get pay increases based on the % of training completed. If a person was expecting to make 100k at xyx tower fully checked out, they would start out making 31900. once they complete 25% of total positions at that facility, you will get a small raise. then 50%, 75% then eventually CPC where you will finally get that 100k.

unfortunately there aren't many facilities that will pay you 100k fully checked out under this new B scale. Fully checked out at a level 11 facility will only pay you 67k plus locality. A level 12 is only about 6 grand more.
And like I said, once you reach the top of the scale (after so many years of federal service) you max at 104k level 12 and 85 or 95k level 11 (i dont remember which).

I have a friend who is coming right out of the Navy and got hired on with ZID center. He said he will have to start out at that 31,900 but like you all have said as he gets his qualifications his pay will increase. After attaining all his qualifications he will be making a cool 6+ figures. Not bad at all.

I think prior federal/military service counts towards your pay level. So someone just out of college with no federal service starts at the bottom, but someone with federal or military service takes their pay grade with them...so after they get through training, they jump from 31,900 to whatever their pay grade dictates. I think.

The FAA's new management policy is a bunch of crap and word on the streets now is they are going to start shutting down the smaller facilities. I got in Sept 03 so I'm still on the B scale making an excellent living but the management crap isn't worth it. With the new pay scale, new hires aren't even showing up to the academy or their facilities.....And the FAA keeps lying over and over saying we aren't having a staffing crisis. As for the bids for placement. You pick a region or two, and they will stick you where they need you. Most likely enroute now but I've heard people going to Orlando and Daytona which is a recipe for failure. New hires going to busy facilites with combined tracon/tower really doesn't give them time to get skills before they start working there .... off!

I know Orlando is getting CTI grads...not sure about Daytona. I'll ask around.

But that makes me real comfortable...Riddle CTI grads going across the airport right into the tower. :| Fun times ahead....

It sure would be nice if they would raise the max age. I'm 5 yrs past the cutoff age but have 8 yrs military ATC experience. As crappy as FAA ATC may be now it's much better than an aircraft dispatcher job. Trust me.

How much attrition is due to retirement vs. phony disability retirements like hearing loss and nightmares?

I only ask because I remember years ago some company was stupid enough to offer disability insurance to ATC's then all of sudden I hear of people at Hampton/ATL conveniently sicking out in the years before retirement after they took out multiple loans on cars and boats. I even know of one dumbarse that claimed hearing loss in his last year of retirement because he knew an audiologist but unfortunately for him he passed the insurance companies hearing exam and had to finish his time.

I would think $160K+ per year plus a 20 year retirement would be enough not to commit insurance fraud but I guess you can't please everybody.

Alright looks like im the only one here who is actually in the ATC profession and has done the acacemy routine recently.

I was hired as a CTI, non prior federal service, into the Academy in Sept of 06. I hired to a level 12 Tower (just tower, not an up/down or a TRACON).

Pay through the Academy was $18,000. When I got to my facitlity, I went to "AG" (Academy Grad) pay. This is $31,700 + Locality increase. (For me is 26%).

Once I check out on 25% of the positions, I will go to "D1" which is in the neighborhood of $50k after locality. Then D2...D3....till im fully checked out.

Once i reach FPL ("Full Performance Level"....formerly called 'CPC' or Certified Professional Controller) I will go to the Level 12 base salary of 78,000 (give or take) + my 26% locality pay for my location.

So im 21 years old at the moment, making more than many mainline F/O's. When I check out, I will make more than many captains.

-ATCT
Pilot, ATC
(Note: My background is piloting, all my friends are commercial pilots, I changed in college to ATC instead of Pro Pilot major)

Latest resources

Back