New Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again 2004-2005 121 domestic.
That goes against everything the FAA was saying at the time. Maybe you were a well-kept secret. :rolleyes:

There is no union contract for any dispach office I know of that limits the number of releases or flights under a dispatchers control. If you know of one I would love to see the language and submit it to the union.
I'm sure there's not, but you could be the first to institute language that requires certain level of dispatch staffing for a certain number of departures.

We do it on the pilot level here at AirTran, certain number of reserve coverage and certain limits on line construction for maximum amount of hours flown depending on how many lines of flying there are. All designed to make sure we aren't flown like an old, tired dog as many regionals do.

Fact is the only thing that changed in the office after the union in we haven't gotten raises in a year and a half and no longer get bonuses. Yes I blame the union, they made alot of big claims on what they were going to do so they could (yes) get there claws into us and were not abel to get any of them done.
First, this is how ALL unions work. If you didn't know it going in, you didn't do your homework properly and have no one to blame but yourself.

A company, just like a union, can make all the big claims they want. Unless it's in writing, you bear the RESPONSIBILITY to do your own DUE DILLIGENCE RESEARCH before signing that union card and turning it back in.

During contract negotiations it's absolutely normal not to get any raises, except longevity, and you only get those IF you already have your first contract in place. EVERY union startup works like this.

Lastly, since the negotiations aren't over, you can't honestly say that the union hasn't been able to get any of "them" done. The fight's not over.

You can say, "They have been unsuccessful so far", then you continue to do battle, but you seem like YOU have GIVEN UP!

Union negotiations are a LONG process, covering 2, 3, or even 5 years. At the end, if YOU are successful, you not only get an increase in wage and benefits, but you also get RETRO PAY which compensates you for the period you went without any raises or bonuses.

Again, YOUR union and what YOU succeed in getting is YOUR responsibility, along with every other dues-paying member there. Get involved, let your union officials know what you want or run for office yourself, keep your fellow coworkers motivated towards a common goal, and make sure NO ONE will accept a sub-standard contract if one is offered.

You can do it, it just takes a lot of WORK. You MUST BE WILLING TO WORK FOR IT, not just sit back, pay dues, and magically get more money.

Nothing in life works like that.

There is no union contract for any dispach office I know of that limits the number of releases or flights under a dispatchers control. If you know of one I would love to see the language and submit it to the union. Fact is the only thing that changed in the office after the union in we haven't gotten raises in a year and a half and no longer get bonuses. Yes I blame the union, they made alot of big claims on what they were going to do so they could (yes) get there claws into us and were not abel to get any of them done.

union? don't know
FAA? yes indeed. Ask the POI for UAL. (told by a UAL Dispatcher)

The question is not the amount of releases, but how many in the air at a time. You can give me 100 releases, but if they are only from ATL to MCN there are not many airborne at one time through the shift.

Unions

Sorry but can't say that I am a fan of unions and I am glad we are not unionized at my airline. Most (and I say most) of the time unions only protect the most useless workers.

Last edited:
???????

I'm back up to 65 releases a day and doing my own CLC. There's no comparison to NWA dispatchers because they don't do that much work. Do you really think the TWU is going to help us out there, Razor? Twist that up and dissect it any way you want to but that's B.S. I don't care what you say.

Just curious but are you a morning dispatcher or evening dispatcher. The reason I am asking is that at my airline the morning guys do start with a roster of 60-70+ flights but in reality only see about 20-30 of them to completion. Hence leaving us night guys to take over and watch their flights along with our 40 releases to do. I have never heard/seen a single dispatcher get 65 flights to do/watch to completion during their 8 or 10 hr shift.

Just curious but are you a morning dispatcher or evening dispatcher. The reason I am asking is that at my airline the morning guys do start with a roster of 60-70+ flights but in reality only see about 20-30 of them to completion. Hence leaving us night guys to take over and watch their flights along with our 40 releases to do. I have never heard/seen a single dispatcher get 65 flights to do/watch to completion during their 8 or 10 hr shift.

Heck, even back in 97/98 at YV we did that, AND had them to termination. Back then the majority of the trips were 1.5 hrs in duration or less.

They call it a swing dispatcher here. I overlap the morning and evening shifts.
I watch about 10-12 flights that the mid dispatcher I'm relieving did, do my 65 releases and usually end up handing off about 10-14 of the flights I have released to an evening dispatcher. While I don't do all of the releases, I end up watching roughly 60-65 flights until completion on my particular shift.

So your a mid-shifter huh?

They call it a swing dispatcher here. I overlap the morning and evening shifts.
I watch about 10-12 flights that the mid dispatcher I'm relieving did, do my 65 releases and usually end up handing off about 10-14 of the flights I have released to an evening dispatcher. While I don't do all of the releases, I end up watching roughly 60-65 flights until completion on my particular shift.

Yeah we have a couple of mid-shift workers here also. They are the ones who actually have somewhat "normal" hours. I really dont mind though, I have always been a night owl. Ever since my 3rd shift days throwing boxes with a cargo company I guess I have never changed.

Unrelated to the thread topic, but does anyone have any idea why there's always openings here? Think about it. It isn't because we're kicking a$$ and taking names.

If you like sweatshop work conditions, you'll fit right in here. Keep sending those applications in. You can't read a METAR or a TAF? It doesn't matter! We'll take you here! We need fresh, warm BODIES to do releases!!!

Last edited:
Unrelated to the thread topic, but does anyone have any idea why there's always openings here? Think about it. It isn't because we're kicking a$$ and taking names.

If you like sweatshop work conditions, you'll fit right in here. Keep sending those applications in. You can't read a METAR or a TAF? It doesn't matter! We'll take you here! We need fresh, warm BODIES to do releases!!!

Of the last 5, 3 went to a major and 2 are making lateral moves. I guess for the 2 the grass is always greener.

Disciplinary Action:

Article XIX (n) Being a member, consistent supporter of or active participant in the activities of the Communist Party, or of any Fascist, Totalitarian or other subversive which opposes the democratic principles to which our Nation and our Union are dedicated.

I'm a communist. So what now?

Latest resources

Back