Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA-44Typed

Cessna eyes sport plane market

Cessna officials say a smaller, lighter, two-seat aircraft would entice new pilots.

BY MOLLY MCMILLIN

The Wichita Eagle

Cessna Aircraft is studying the feasibility of designing and building a light sport aircraft, the company said Tuesday.
Cessna plans to unveil a full scale "proof-of-concept" aircraft next month at the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual convention, AirVenture, in Oshkosh, Wis.
The newly emerging light sport aircraft category is the biggest growth sector in general aviation, the company said.
Light sport aircraft is defined as "simple low-performance aircraft" limited to a maximum takeoff weight of 1,320 pounds, a single reciprocating engine, a maximum top speed of 138 mph, a fixed-pitch propeller, a fixed landing gear and no more than two seats.
Cessna's sales and service network and its design and manufacturing experience "could make this an attractive extension of our product line," Jack Pelton, Cessna's chairman, president and chief executive, said in a statement.
Light sport aircraft could introduce new pilots to Cessna.
"We believe this new category of aircraft could provide a conduit for new pilots to grow through the Cessna product line in the years ahead," Pelton said in the statement.
During the next several months, Cessna will evaluate the issues associated with entering the market to determine whether there is a favorable business case, it said. As part of the evaluation process, Cessna will seek feedback from AirVenture attendees next month.
A decision will be made in early 2007.
In 2004, the Federal Aviation Administration put into place sport-pilot and light-sport-aircraft regulations. The new rules included easier and less-expensive ways to become a pilot.

I flew a 152 for the first time today (working on my CSEL addon)..and man...so easy to do the maneuvers in. But my landings SUCKED *SO* badly....

I flew a 152 for the first time today (working on my CSEL addon)..and man...so easy to do the maneuvers in. But my landings SUCKED *SO* badly....

And you are worried about Gulfstream!?!? Sounds like you need to worry about other things, son.

back to the topic....

The aircraft sounds like a great idea. I like how these new companies work outside the box, but they just aren't building safe aircraft for training. It took diamond years to get their problems under control. It is good to see that Cessna is going into this market. They will build a reliable sport aircraft.

The_Russian said:
And you are worried about Gulfstream!?!? Sounds like you need to worry about other things, son.
God forbid the first time I've flown something I wasn't perfect. Tho I don't know why I'm responding to such a tool like you.

An updated Cessna Cardinal FG with 200hp motor, G1000, and a BRS chute would kill Cirrus.

JimNtexas said:
An updated Cessna Cardinal FG with 200hp motor, G1000, and a BRS chute would kill Cirrus.

True dat. Best looking single...ever...

A plane where you can actually get in the thing with out contorsions AND you can throw a tarp over the wing and make a very servicable tent.

Nu

NuGuy said:
True dat. Best looking single...ever...

A plane where you can actually get in the thing with out contorsions AND you can throw a tarp over the wing and make a very servicable tent.

Nu
Does Cessna have much motivation to build a new Cardinal, with the 182 and Stationair in the current lineup?

gkrangers said:
Does Cessna have much motivation to build a new Cardinal, with the 182 and Stationair in the current lineup?

I would think something similar in shape to a Cardinal would replace the 182, right? Not sure about the Sationair though.

Latest resources

Back