• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New CEO at Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ayers left after the decision was made to take the prayer cards off the airplane. I hear the BOD is making decisions that management doesn't support including an aggressive growth plan that isn't supportable.
I wouldn't be so sure this is a positive move for your company.

Our Board is conservative to a fault. Convincing them to grow has been an issue for past and current management teams.

. I hear the BOD is making decisions that management doesn't support including an aggressive growth plan that isn't supportable.
I wouldn't be so sure this is a positive move for your company.

Do share this AGGRESSIVE growth plan that isn't supportable. We can't Handel the rise in available seats by swapping old 400's for 900's?

My exact thoughts when I saw the news. Delta looking to buy? Let's hope not.

That's absurd. How does halving the price and doubling the available shares give anyone an advantage?

It's a mathematical wash no matter how you look at it.

Indeed. However, there might be a psychological part of that? Easier to convince your board to buy at $35/share than $70/share? Just because you're a member of the board at Delta doesn't mean you're smart.. ;) Anyhow, I'm crossing my fingers there's no sale in the foreseeable future.

Indeed. However, there might be a psychological part of that? Easier to convince your board to buy at $35/share than $70/share? Just because you're a member of the board at Delta doesn't mean you're smart.. ;) Anyhow, I'm crossing my fingers there's no sale in the foreseeable future.

Yeah, People on BOD's of major companies have the financial knowledge of undergraduate students!

I don't always agree with a lot of what the various boards do but I am confident they understand the difference (or the non-difference) of having 36 million shares outstanding at $76 and 72 million shares at $36. There is a difference...it is psychological...but it's the "home-gamers" with Scott Trade accounts that is the concern...not boards of directors, I can assure you.

The important number is not $36 or $72 but $3.6 Billion.

If Delta or anyone else didn't buy Alaska when we could be had for $800 million only a few years ago...i'm pretty sure it's not being seriously considered for approaching 5 times that amount.

Last edited:
Yeah, People on BOD's of major companies have the financial knowledge of undergraduate students!

I don't always agree with a lot of what the various boards do but I am confident they understand the difference (or the non-difference) of having 36 million shares outstanding at $76 and 72 million shares at $36. There is a difference...it is psychological...but it's the "home-gamers" with Scott Trade accounts that is the concern...not boards of directors, I can assure you.

The important number is not $36 or $72 but $3.6 Billion.

If Delta or anyone else didn't buy Alaska when we could be had for $800 million only a few years ago...i'm pretty sure it's not being seriously considered for approaching 5 times that amount.

Did you ever think about an airline buying you and then using your cash on hand to help pay for it? It happens a lot in other industries. To thwart mergers, companies also often have some debt on the books. Does AK have a lot of debt?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Did you ever think about an airline buying you and then using your cash on hand to help pay for it? It happens a lot in other industries. To thwart mergers, companies also often have some debt on the books. Does AK have a lot of debt?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

1.1 billion debt, 1.1 billion cash

Latest resources

Back