New Captain!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

phishn@daves

Can you guy's give me some insight as what to expect going through upgrade?

I've been at my company for 3 yrs. and I'm going to class in April.

For the past few yrs. all I wanted to do was move to the left seat, now that I actually have a chance to do so, I am somewhat apprehensive about it!

I definately feel that I'm ready, but I'd like to hear from some guys who have recently upgraded as well as some seasoned guy's/girls!

Thanks for any light you can shed as well as some do's/dont's!

Congrats, the basic diff is now everything is YOUR fault.

My upgrade was:

3 day GS, 1 or 2 CPT sessions, 7 sim training sessions and a type/check ride. Then Capt IOE and a FED ride. Then RESERVE. (then J4J and it was back to the right seat for me)

3 days groundschool: basically you'll spend most of the GS on regs and stuff specific to the capt. Know your Ops manual stuff like Alt airports wx, High mins capts limits, new SIC limits, MEL and CDL stuff, filling out the a/c logbook, write ups, special airport ops, deicing, ect....

Know all emergency stuff like evac not just airplane flying stuff.

Know systems BEFORE class. They will spend little time on this as you've already seen it for 3 checkrides and recurrent 3 times not to mention new hire training.

Know all Capt flows, they will not spend time teaching this. Don't forget the preflight check flows. In the sim training its basically newhire from the left seat with some additional emerg. stuff thrown in. The type ride wasn't much diff than a checkride except you have to do a zero flap landing. (at least thats what it was like for my company)

Have fun and good luck. Now you get to taxi.

Three days of GS? Sheesh, I wish it were true here. We did two and a half weeks of GS, joining with a new-hire class after their basic indoc. Upgrade was just new-hire training all over again. If you have nightmares about your new-hire training like I do, don't worry. Upgrade was a hundred, nay, a thousand times easier than new-hire training, in every respect. You already know the material, it's just a matter of brushing up a bit.

Hey guys thanks for the info, I'm really excited by it all......and I can't wait to get it all done.

Latest resources

Back