• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New bid at CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it will be 3-1 acceptance, no "off the street " hiring- im telling you - TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE CRAPPIER JOBS- kill go back first chance i get, but at 3-1 it wont happen until 2013. UGH

If a United furloughee really wants to sit reserve with our rules, more power to'em. I expect some off the street hiring might be in order to fill 200 seats.
It's back in a seat. That's a good thing.

There really is no way to fully realize how bad reserve is at CAL without doing it. That's why so many pilots AT CAL don't think it's a problem--they never did reserve or haven't done it for a very long time.

This will be a win win. Furloughs get a job. And then they can verify to their UAL buddies what only CAL pilots know that, for line holder or reserve, CAL work rules are insufferable and must be changed in the JCBA.

Last edited:
It's back in a seat. That's a good thing.

There really is no way to fully realize how bad reserve is at CAL without doing it. That's why so many pilots AT CAL don't think it's a problem--they never did reserve or haven't done it for a very long time.

This will be a win win. Furloughs get a job. And they can verify to UAL what only CAL pilots know that, for line holder or reserve, CAL work rules are insufferable and must be changed in the JCBA.

This will be interesting to throw 200 United pilots into the reserve fray with crappy workrules. Sick calls will go through the roof a month after the first guy hits IOE.

This will be interesting to throw 200 United pilots into the reserve fray with crappy workrules. Sick calls will go through the roof a month after the first guy hits IOE.
Perfect. This could be a clear sign to management that if even long-furloughed and desperate UAL pilots rebel against the work rules greater than the CAL pilots already here do, it could finally be clue to them that there is no way they're going to get CAL work rules on 6000 UAL pilots. Won't happen.

Perfect. This could be a clear sign to management that if even long-furloughed and desperate UAL pilots rebel against the work rules greater than the CAL pilots already here do, it could finally be clue to them that there is no way they're going to get CAL work rules on 6000 UAL pilots. Won't happen.

I don't want to make it sound like the UAL pilots are prima-donnas or trying to be bad a$$es. I'm just saying that of the 1437 furloughed pilots, all but the bottom 300 or so have been furloughed twice. Their tolerance for abuse will be extremely limited. I could even see guys just saying, screw it, I quit...and wait for a recall to United. I have to go back to the agreement and read up to see if there are any repercussions for quitting CAL. These 200 pilots are not going to be on probabation and I don't think threats from schedulers are going to work when they start hearing "NO" for a change.

Their tolerance for abuse will be extremely limited. I could even see guys just saying, screw it, I quit...and wait for a recall to United. I have to go back to the agreement and read up to see if there are any repercussions for quitting CAL. These 200 pilots are not going to be on probabation and I don't think threats from schedulers are going to work when they start hearing "NO" for a change.
One can hope. I do think there's going to be a giant you've-got-to-be-kidding me, and then all that you've said above. If it happens I wonder if their sense of how a professional ought to allow themselves to be treated will rub off on CAL pilots. Then management may have new problems to deal with, like the entire CAL group reacting to their own work rules like the UAL MEC/NC is reacting to them now. If that happens, to paraphrase Jaws, they're gonna need a bigger recall.

Last edited:
We all agree with you but this thread is about recalling UA furloughees under the TPA. Did you read that document (TPA) before hitting the Submit Reply button?

I read it after it was approved by the MEC's without membership ratification over a year ago. So I need my memory refreshed.

The UAL pilots will come back with medical insurance and their old pay rates they had on the day they were furloughed. That means the first guy "hired" at CAL could be making $124/hr if he was on the 777/747 at 8 yr pay when he was furloughed even though he will be junior to the last newbies at CAL who are making $31/hr. That's also more than almost all of the FO's at CAL make the exception being year 10,11, 12 wide body FO's which is only a handful of pilots. The junior pilots at CAL got left out in the cold once again, but it was the right thing to do.

I have nothing against "hiring" these guys but it's messed up that they will be no pay raise for the thousands of pilots at CAL senior to them who will now be making less than these "new hires".

I have nothing against "hiring" these guys but it's messed up that they will be no pay raise for the thousands of pilots at CAL senior to them who will now be making less than these "new hires".
Maybe it will motivate these "thousands of pilots at CAL senior to them" to realize what can be achieved with a little self respect and unity. Three years in bankruptcy and UAL gets paid more than CAL, not to mention DH in first class, 10 hours rest in the hotel, and 5 hours add pay if crew agrees to reduce rest by just one minute.

Come work where I do, you will go happily to a steady paycheck, benefits. Come on over and see what pilot abuse is all about. One post back said it all, " GOT TO FEED THE FAMILY ", been barely doing it for 2 yrs now, gladly take whats coming, " if only you could walk a mile in my shoes "!

Latest resources

Back