• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New bases at Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Larry discussed this with my new hire class in 05. He said that it was something they were looking into but that he knew that if they opened a base in LAX again, people would just commute to it like they commute to all the other bases. Heck I'd like to see a 757/767 base out in LAX myself. I'd commute to it from AUS it I had any seniority(which I probably wouldn't). Take these rumors(especially from CEO visits to FA classes) with a grain of salt. Hope for the best but plan on IAH/CLE/EWR/GUM for the rest of your career and you won't be dissapointed.

IAHERJ

who ever started this rumor is smoking crack. cal gave up the west for a reason. no-one knows why but a base west of houston is out of the question.
management thinks that everyone lives east of houston. so why not give up one third of the population on bad judgement. southwest only makes money on the west coast. alaska airlines makes money on the west coast.

so what gives. a short sighted management team that only thinks short term like their tenure athe airline

We recently had a 777 instructor in the J/S, he too felt a LAX base would happen within 2 years.

I thought our management was going to look at satellite bases in the spring, once PBS was up and running for a couple of months? Did that ever happen? (I hate PBS! )
From what I understand, we still have long term gate leases in LAX. In fact, I think CAL along with other airlines are suing LAX because the airport is trying to regain control of them. Delta is adding flights in the west with an increase of flying into Latin America. If CAL is to compete they will have to return to the West.

I also read an article about CAL increasing the number of mechanics at DEN. We have a hangar there and we lease it to Frontier. Frontier wants more space, but at this time (well about two months ago) we were leasing it to Frontier on a month to month basis.

Satellite base in LAX and DEN? All rumors, but I like these rumors! Hey it is the airline industry, bases come and go.

Lax

Larry came to my class, this year, and said that he anticipated announcing the opening of an LAX pilot and FA base by November. There wasn't anyone in our class holding our breath, but it was nice to hear.

They did open a base out on the west coast- it's called Express Jet! :laugh:

Right from the horses mouth.
Larry was on my jump seat about 3 months ago and said ”satellite bases will open as soon as we get PBS figured out so the problems with new bases will not be blamed on PBS” I said, so you are saying they will NEVER happen. He just smiled.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back