New ATL Tower Freqs

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Posts
5,125
Total Time
4000
Anybody know why they changed the Tower Freqs? Just curious.
 

runfast

Active member
Joined
Jul 14, 2003
Posts
25
Total Time
5000?
apparently, the old north side freq (19.5) is for the new rwy on the south side.

so, according to their logic, it will count up from north to south 19.1,19.3,19.5.

to be honest, i think it just confuses everyone, including the controllers.....
 

Alin10123

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Posts
233
Total Time
200
runfast said:
apparently, the old north side freq (19.5) is for the new rwy on the south side.

so, according to their logic, it will count up from north to south 19.1,19.3,19.5.

to be honest, i think it just confuses everyone, including the controllers.....
lol..
 

Alin10123

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Posts
233
Total Time
200
Stifler's Mom said:
Anybody know why they changed the Tower Freqs? Just curious.
Wait... what new tower frequencies? Is it on the charts?
It'd better be, i just bought new charts last week. grrrrr.
 

erj-145mech

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Posts
1,071
Total Time
1350
New freqs don't have to be on the charts, that what notams are for.
 

Alin10123

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Posts
233
Total Time
200
erj-145mech said:
New freqs don't have to be on the charts, that what notams are for.
yea yea i know. It's just dissappointing knowing you just bought charts and without even a chance to use them yet, they already need updating for the info to be 100% accurate. lol
 

shamrock

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2001
Posts
1,786
Total Time
1 year
Alin10123 said:
yea yea i know. It's just dissappointing knowing you just bought charts and without even a chance to use them yet, they already need updating for the info to be 100% accurate. lol
Fly just a little bit and you'll learn that the info is never 100% accurate. A nice thick Jepp revision in my mailbox every 2 weeks is proof of that.

Do you even use the ATL tower freq flying at PDK? I'm not trying to be a wiseass, it's just that I've never flown out of anywhere but ATL and I'm curious about how things work at PDK and FTY.
 

minitour

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Posts
3,249
shamrock said:
Fly just a little bit and you'll learn that the info is never 100% accurate. A nice thick Jepp revision in my mailbox every 2 weeks is proof of that.
A-freakin'-men...Did you see the one a few weeks ago?! The one that came in a box?! Holy bajeezes.

-mini
 

Alin10123

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Posts
233
Total Time
200
shamrock said:
Fly just a little bit and you'll learn that the info is never 100% accurate. A nice thick Jepp revision in my mailbox every 2 weeks is proof of that.

Do you even use the ATL tower freq flying at PDK? I'm not trying to be a wiseass, it's just that I've never flown out of anywhere but ATL and I'm curious about how things work at PDK and FTY.
If you are flying VOR or any sort of instrument out of PDK you have to get clearance from Atlanta departure. PDK can only clear to land and give clearance for anything VFR. Anything IFR has to go through Atlanta since it's their airspace.
 

shamrock

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2001
Posts
1,786
Total Time
1 year
Alin10123 said:
If you are flying VOR or any sort of instrument out of PDK you have to get clearance from Atlanta departure. PDK can only clear to land and give clearance for anything VFR. Anything IFR has to go through Atlanta since it's their airspace.
I figured that you would need to talk to approach/departure, I just didn't think you would have occasion to talk to ATL tower since they only deal with aircraft landing or departing ATL.

From what I understand PDK can be a pain in the ass if you need to do an approach.
 

SkyBoy1981

Bring a towel!
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
1,482
Total Time
5000
shamrock said:
I figured that you would need to talk to approach/departure, I just didn't think you would have occasion to talk to ATL tower since they only deal with aircraft landing or departing ATL.
Southbound PDK departures are vectored directly over the top of ATL at 6000. They remain under the TRACON's control though, so you are correct.

shamrock said:
From what I understand PDK can be a pain in the ass if you need to do an approach.
Only if strong winds from the northeast make runway 2R the active during low ceilings/vis. Then they give you the VOR 27, circle southeast for runway 2R. That can get a bit hairy if the weather is down. I quickly learned if the weather was bad to request to fly over the field and enter the left downwind for 2R instead...makes things a bit easier.
 
Last edited:
Top