• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AT servicep

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Along with these route announcements, is there any info on the MDW-CUN (SWA) vs ORD-CUN (F9) routes?

No, believe that one has to be approved by the mexican government. Wasn't that the case, they (the mexican governmenr) only allows service from Chicago by 3 airlines. AMR, UAL and the abandoned USA3000 service that SW and F9 was trying to pick up.

KBB

I went back and checked the docket to see if any updates had been posted in regards to the F9/WN CUN route request and came across a gem. A P.B. Goodrich (no idea who this is) wrote a letter in support of F9 to Transportation Secretary LaHood.

"The second issue concerns safety. Southwest proposes using Midway Airport. Midway is an airport with short runways in a congested urban neighborhood. These short runways work adequately for regional flights. However, a heavily laden aircraft fueled for a long flight to Cancun is pushing the limits at Midway. Alternatively, O’Hare Airport has runways nearly twice the length of Midway with high tech instrument landing systems which constantly service large long-haul flights. It is not in the public interest to approve susceptible operations when a superior option is available.

I do believe that once Southwest Airlines joins the integrated national air service network through normal interline agreements with a modern ticketing system and uses adequate airports they certainly should be given consideration."

Psst, Mr PB...SWA serves SEA and SAN (just to name a couple) from MDW which are both 300 NM further than CUN. Also, let's not forget about those new-fangled things called instrument landing systems that ORD has. MDW must be a VFR airport. :)

Just had to laugh.

For what its worth, I was told SWA already was awarded it.

I was told by gate agent when J/S ing through MDW.

Last edited:
It was voted on by both parties as the seniority integration agreement SL-10. That whole discussion took 12 months and drove everyone bonkers. The healing is still taking place on both sides.

That pretty much sums it up.

I would be curious to know how an agent in MDW would know before the Dept of Transportation has issued any official documentation to either carrier?*

*This is assuming that since all previous documents are posted and available in the DOT docket, that all documents that have been issued are posted there as well.

Here's the docket that I'm referring to:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;dct=FR%2BPR%2BN%2BO%2BSR;rpp=10;po=0;D=DOT-OST-2011-0214

That is the way it works at Southwestern Trailways. Someone gets 20% of a conversation tell it to three different people and it becomes fact. It's kinda like the game telephone, but at Southwest, when it gets to the last person it is fact.

That is the way it works at Southwestern Trailways. Someone gets 20% of a conversation tell it to three different people and it becomes fact. It's kinda like the game telephone, but at Southwest, when it gets to the last person it is fact.

Well I did say take for what it's worth.i just told what she told me. I guess time will tell if she was correct.

She also was talking about a lot of other growth, but I will keep it to my self.

Last edited:
Well I did say take for what it's worth.i just told what she told me. I guess time will tell if she was correct.

She also was talking about a lot of other growth, but I will keep it to my self.

Never said that her statement wouldn't reflect what actually occurs, just that I didn't believe it possible for her to know the official answer at that time.

In regards to future growth, if it's dealing with HI, AK, or PR, it's not new info.

Never said that her statement wouldn't reflect what actually occurs, just that I didn't believe it possible for her to know the official answer at that time.

In regards to future growth, if it's dealing with HI, AK, or PR, it's not new info.

How about another type of A/C?

On the jump seat one of the pilots mentioned this?

Latest resources

Back