• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NEW ASA TA Commute clause

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do other carriers have such limited usage on their clauses? 5 times in a 2 yr period if I'm reading that correctly. In the 2 yrs that I commuted way back when, I know I called in a hell of a lot more than 5 times...

No, here is the commuter policy at XJT.

Commuter Policy

1. A pilot is responsible for reporting to his assignment in a timely manner. The
following provisions are not intended to relieve a pilot of that responsibility, but
to address circumstances beyond the pilot’s control (e.g., flight cancellations,
delays, flat tires, motor vehicle accidents, etc.).

2. A pilot who utilizes the Commuter Policy in accordance with the provisions below
shall not be disciplined for not reporting for his trip in a timely fashion and shall,
after consulting with his Chief Pilot, have any occurrence noted on his schedule
as a commuter personal drop (CPD).

3. The Commuter Policy shall not be limited to pilots who commute by air and shall
also apply to those pilots who commute by ground transportation (e.g., rail, car,
bus, etc.).

4. If a pilot is commuting by air, 2 separate flights (on any airline) must be
available that are scheduled to arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to the
scheduled report time of his trip. Available seats (including the jumpseat) must
exist for these flights at 24 hours prior to the departure time of the first flight. A
seat is considered available if that flight is booked below the seating capacity
(including the jumpseat), including non-revenue space available travelers that
are listed and have a higher boarding priority than the pilot.

5. The pilot must be at the departure gate(s) 30 minutes before the scheduled
departure time(s) for the available flight(s) for this policy to be utilized.

6. If a pilot is unable to arrive in time for his trip, he shall notify the Company as
soon as practical, and state whether he is able to return to the trip when it next
transits through his domicile. If able, the pilot will return to the trip when it
transits through his domicile.

7. A lineholder will have the value of the trip he misses deducted from his line
value and minimum monthly guarantee, if applicable. Any subsequent trip(s)
that the lineholder picks up, including any remaining portions of his original trip,
shall be credited as add pay.

8. A reserve shall be deducted 3.75 hours for each reserve day missed or when
assigned a trip on a reserve day, he will have the value of the trip or 3.75 hours,
whichever is greater, deducted from his line value and MMG.

9. Each invocation of this Policy shall be considered an independent event and
judged on its own circumstances.
Upon request, pilots shall be responsible for
providing relevant documentation required by the Company to establish their
compliance with this Policy.

The commuter clause's biggest shortfall is that you "must designate up to three airports (within 150 miles from principle residence)". That's useless for those who commute part time or for those have two residences. Also, you shouldn't have to register, it's none of the company's business who commutes and where from. Now they will keep tabs on all commuters, and you know Big Brother Scotty is watching. You better not call in sick if you don't make it, and expect an interrogation if you're a commuter and you do call in sick. Have fun commuting during winter blizzards, my fellow yankees.

1. The company already knows where you live (as long as you're not lying to them)

2. The commuting clause is optional. You dont have to use it.

You do NOT have to designate 3 airports, you MAY have only one listed if you like.

That's quite different.

We also do not have to factor the non-revs as the one above does. We need only one seat available AT THE TIME OF LISTING.

Medeco

1. The company already knows where you live (as long as you're not lying to them)

2. The commuting clause is optional. You dont have to use it.

Of course they know where we live. But sometimes people commute from places other than where they live, ie, their cabin, where their family lives, etc. The contract says all of your registered airports must be 150 miles from your primary residence. That makes it useless for the purpose I mention.

Another problem with it is that it doesn't cover commuters by ground. I live 1 hour from Hartsfield. Ever seen the backup from a good truck wreck on I-75 in ATL? Fugetaboutit.

Of course they know where we live. But sometimes people commute from places other than where they live, ie, their cabin, where their family lives, etc. The contract says all of your registered airports must be 150 miles from your primary residence. That makes it useless for the purpose I mention.

Where does it say you must commute from the airport(s) you designate? We have to designate a home airport at Comair as well, but no one has ever said that's where we have to come from.

You would be out of compliance with the intent of "reasonable" at 10 prior to duty-in. That is coming from our CNC when discussing the clause at the first roadshow. I am not judging anyone for making their commute 10 minutes prior duty-in, I am just pointing out that that would not be considered "reasonable" under this clause.

The "reasonable" language will quickly prove problematic. I'm sure there will be an LOA after a few occurances/grievances. To me 30 minutes seems reasonable on most days, while 10 minutes seems reasonable on other days (i.e. I've only been off one day).

I suspect the "reasonable" was meant to take weather/traffic situations into account so 20 minutes might be reasonable on a fair weather day while two hours would not be reasonable on a poor weather day. As I said before there will certainly be a side letter clarifying this.

Either way this language is about the best I've seen for air commuters. As for ground commuters...quit your whining, you live in base!:laugh:

SkyWest has no commuter clause.

however, in my experience, making the same efforts to get to work as outlined in the above clauses will either a: get you to work on time or b: when communicated to CS what you have been doing to try to get there will allow you to work it out with them. They positive spaced me twice to get to work when my commute just wasn't working out.

also, as mentioned, you can say 'I'm sick.' if you're making an honest effort to get to work, however, I think this would happen rarely.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back